Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Only the windows version remains... (Read 9719 times)
DaveG

Only the windows version remains...
Aug 01st, 2007, 2:02pm

Smiley

Well, Mark & Eastgate -

well done V4 exceeds all my desires, what a quantum leap for TB.
Now I _really_ need it on Windows....

Congratulations to you all,

Dave

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Only the windows version remains...
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2007, 2:45pm

Though it isn't always visible in the interface, a great deal of work in Tinderbox 4 was devoted to facilitating the Windows version.  

We made some tough engineering choices in the past year, prefering a better cross-platform product to a faster Windows release.  We're working hard to get Tinderbox for Windows into your hands!

WWW   IP Logged
greg ibendahl

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2007, 3:11pm

I, for one, am glad you decided on a better cross-platform product. Hopefully, those tough engineering choices you made and are making will lead to a universal binary Mac version someday! Still, Tinderbox runs very well on the Intel chipset.

BTW, I'm glad to see the addition of a Tinderbox forum.  Cheesy

IP Logged
AndyDent

CTO of touchgr.am,

multi-platform

developer
/>

Perth, Western Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2007, 5:59pm

greg ibendahl wrote on Aug 1st, 2007, 3:11pm:
Still, Tinderbox runs very well on the Intel chipset

It does until you run into the 10.4.10 plus QuickTime upgrade bug that kills Rosetta!

Lack of Tinderbox may well drive me to a complete system reinstall  Angry

See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306043 for the problem but neither of their two solutions have worked for me.

I too am hanging out for a Windows version as I have to use a PC at work and would love to evangelize TB.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2007, 6:22pm

The Rosetta updater bug is, fortunately, (a) rare and (b) chiefly afflicts developers, who have the beta Java install.  And developers are better equipped to cope with it.  A clean reinstall apparently will always fix the issue.

WWW   IP Logged
F451

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:04pm

I do have some concerns learning that Tinderbox is working on a Windows version. Time and time again I have seen great software in the Mac community left to ruin when the developer decides to produce a Windows version. When the Mac version starts to lag behind the Windows version it typically spells a slow death for the Mac version. Obviously, the Windows market yields a more lucrative monetary return. My apprehension is understandable for those who have been in the Mac community for as long as I have (since 1984).

IP Logged
Gordon

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:38am

Well, F451 (if that's your real name!), I don' think you have to worry. The Windows version has been in-progress for years, I believe, and in the meantime we've gotten some wonderful updates on the Mac side. I don't see any sign that the Windows development has negatively impacted us.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:20pm

May I point out the OP's point was really to thank Eastgate for a great version 4. That seems to have got lost in the subsequent comment. A TB(Win) is on the cards, we just have to wait.

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2008, 12:43pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print