Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
About an Online version of Tinderbox (Read 12756 times)
Christian

About an Online version of Tinderbox
Aug 02nd, 2007, 3:13am

I can't stop thinking of an online version of Tinderbox, as a web app. Cool
Wihtin my organization, I feel alone with my Tinderbox version on my mac.
So a more collaborative approach to the use and principle of tinderbox will be cool way to increase its potential. Roll Eyes

Of course, for Eastgate, that a very different business model. What is Mark point of view and thoughts about this opportunity ?

WWW   IP Logged
Stephen De Gabrielle

Re: About an Online version of Tinderbox
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2007, 5:50am

Wasn't their a Web squirrel product at some point?

WWW Stephen De Gabrielle spdegabrielle@yahoo.com   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:31am

Two answers.  Summary:

1) Tinderbox can't be a Web application
    2) Tinderbox 4 *is* a Web application

Tinderbox uses a lot of processing power.

That's the point: you HAVE a lot of processing power.  Most of the time, that processing power is sitting around, twiddling its thumbs.  But it's there: how can we use it?  Tinderbox proposes an answer: let's use some of that processing power to make a personal assistant that helps us analyze and organize.

If Tinderbox ran on a server, you'd need to share a CPU with all the other people who were using Tinderbox.  Imagine: not only do you need to worry about YOUR agents, you need to worry about Mrs. McGillicudy's agents too!  To keep up with the processing demand, we'd need to have LOTS of servers.  

BUT......

Quietly, in Tinderbox 4, we've introduced some very interesting new Web hooks that let your Tinderbox information reside on servers.  

For example, a Tinderbox document can now have its own email address; you can send email to your Tinderbox task list, or email to your research notes!  And Tinderbox documents can send email, too.  Or Twitter!

Another example: Tinderbox 4 makes is much easier to automatically update Tinderbox documents with shared information from a Web server. Yesterday, my ToDo list included a reminder to change the Tinderbox version and price in the Eastgate catalog system, which is a separate Tinderbox document.  But when I got there, the price was already updated!  Magic!  How did this happen?  A few weeks ago, I'd told the catalog Tinderbox that it could find the current price at a specific URL; it was so easy, I'd forgotten all about it until I went to correct the database and discover that Tinderbox had already done the work for me.

WWW   IP Logged
owrede

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2007, 1:35pm

Mark Bernstein wrote on Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:31am:
Quietly, in Tinderbox 4, we've introduced some very interesting new Web hooks that let your Tinderbox information reside on servers.

This sounds I want to spend some days to just listen to what you have in mind here. The web has always been about collaboration. We call it social software nowadays.

Is there any roadmap for TB 4?

« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2007, 2:15pm by owrede »  
WWW   IP Logged
Ioa Petra-ka

Portland, Oregon, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2008, 11:17am

In my opinion, the ability to couple Tinderbox event processing with the underlying UNIX shell offers an amazing level of interaction with the rest of the world. With a little knowledge of PHP, Ruby, or some other easily web aware scripting language, you can integrate Tinderbox with your own website---even other web sites that offer external APIs, such as Basecamp, Google Maps, and so on. That's not even counting the extant Tb features already brought up, such as mail integration, and URL fetching.

I have yet to fully explore script coupling myself, but getting my own to-do list roughly synchronised with my company's Basecamp collaboration hub would be fantastic, and it is on my long-term list of things to sort out.

One Tb application that I already have developed facilitates the composition of our monthly newsletter. I get copy from the writers and dump their rich text right into Tinderbox, which it exports to HTML precisely as I configure it to. Tb uses several private APIs I've developed for our web site to pull various bits of data straight out of the site's database, and then I use a series of exporters to produce an email's HTML part, Plain-text part, and web-site archive all from the same source. Revisions can be produced instantly and published directly for collaborative proofing.

I'd say Tb4 is already a web app. Sure, it doesn't have a bunch of stuff out-of-the-box, but Tb out of the box is just an outliner (to be brazenly understated, ha). We have to "program" it to do everything we want it to do with a file. Same goes for integration.

Av
  IP Logged
Xavier

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2009, 8:28am

I'd be very sorry to see Tinderbox become a browser based application.

It is the only software save for Storyspace that I can think of that allows for a very individual and visual hypertext as opposed to online documents which are electronic and linked but may almost as well have been printed.

Similarly, I would not want some of my documents to be subject to dilution or change by collaboration/commenting.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print