Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prototype blues (Read 6267 times)
Jolyon

Prototype blues
Aug 07th, 2007, 10:36am

If you start a new TB file and create a new note, the default setting (I think) is that the box "Can be a prototype" is NOT checked.

I have one important, sprawling TB document that I am always using and somehow along the way the default has switched such that ALL new notes (regardless of where they appear) ARE prototypes unless you specifically un-switch them. Needless to say, this means that I have loads of rubbish faux-prototypes floating round that I need to get rid of.

Yes, I know there is an obvious way to turn off this default and after you have told me what it is, I will say Doh! and slap my head, but...What is it, please, anyone?

Thanks
Jolyon

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Prototype blues
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2007, 12:58pm

The attribute IsPrototype is a boolean attribute, like any other.  You *can* change its default value from "false" to "true", in which case all notes will be prototypes unless you say otherwise.

As you observe, you probably don't want this!

But, you can change it back easily.  Open the System pane of the Attributes list, locate IsPrototype in the General category, and you can view and change the current default.

WWW   IP Logged
Jolyon

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2007, 1:32pm

Thanks, Mark.  What I can't figure out now is how on earth I ever came to switch it from false to true...  But let's not dwell on that, eh?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2007, 2:19pm

As with Many Tinderbox things there is more than one way to fix the problem. Besides the what I'd think of as the' normal' method, as Mark has described above, there's another and perhaps worth reviewing as it's probably how you made the mistake before.

Note that in Tinderbox Boolean data type values are case-sensitive:
- true but not True
- false but not False
You may also input a value of 1 for true and 0 for false but the resulting stored value will always be true/false.

So, with a note selected, go to 'Note' -> 'Get Info' (Cmd+Opt+I), open the note's Info window/view. Most likely 'General' is set in the pop-up list in the top section, but if not open the list and select it. The bottom section of the window show the General system attributes. Re-size or scroll the window so 'IsPrototype' is visible in the left column. Opposite, will be an entry of true or false, the actual value of 'IsPrototype' in that single note.

In each column of the Info window double-clicking an item will open it for editing. The error you probably made was to double-click the left side (the attribute name) and edit the value in the resulting dialog box. An alternate method of invoking an edit is to click-select an item in either column and then use the 'Edit' button at the bottom of the window.

Try invoking an edit for a box on each side - cancel back out - an you'll see the edit dialog box is different. In fairness to Tinderbox it does warn you you're changing the TBX-wide default for that attribute but when your mind's on the task in hand it's very easy to either ignore that or to assume the warning relates to the current note. Now you've seen these different edit boxes whilst not in the middle of an actual task warning bells should ring next time you open the wrong one.  As you may guess, I tripped over this issue when first using Tinderbox and it took a while to figure out!

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print