Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disabling automatic list indenting? (Read 8185 times)
Jack Baty

Disabling automatic list indenting?
Aug 08th, 2007, 10:36am

Hi,

The new behavior of indenting lists automatically seems rather unpredictable. Sometimes lines are indented, sometimes not.  I can't seem to figure how to make it behave the way I want. In fact, I'd prefer to manage formatting lists myself, so is there a way to disable the new behavior?

Thanks,

Jack.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Disabling automatic list indenting?
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2007, 11:13am

To keep performance snappy, the indentation is adusted after a carriage return, rather than after each keystroke.  So, just be patient until the end of the paragraph and all will be well.

WWW   IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2007, 10:31pm

That makes sense, thanks. I think there's room for a tweak or two that might be nice. The last line of lists seem to not be indenting while editing. However if I close and reopen a note, sometimes things are indented okay, other times the *first* item is not indented instead.

Here's a short screencast that demonstrates the first part of this...

http://gallery.mac.com/jackbaty/100095

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2007, 7:10am

Just ensure you type a line return after the last list item.

I accept that if you've lots of existing data where the note is only/ends with a list this might be a pain. However, I'm sure this (new) feature will doubtless improve. On past form that's very soon if it's simple - I've no idea if that the case though when seen from a coding perspective).

For now the above are the 'rules' for correct input for full indenting.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2007, 8:01am

Mark,

I think the linked screencast demonstrates that the problem happens *when* I add a return after the final list item - that item then "outdents," which seems odd to me.

It's a tiny little issue that I can certainly live with, especially considering how great TB 4 is overall. Thanks again.

Jack

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2007, 11:22am

Ah, yes - sorry i got the wrong end of the stick. I think this is probably being worked on (doubtless Mark B will correct me if I'm wrong).

As you've doubtless found a close/re-open (Cmd+W then Spacebar) will 'refresh' the view in v4.0.0.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Rob Hamrick

Oakland/Berkeley, CA
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2007, 4:35pm

This is also a minor issue for me, even though I feel a little silly complaining about it.  After a few days of trying to work with the way Tinderbox now displays lists, I find myself wishing that the lists didn't indent so far to the right and that they would automatically align on the left.  

With the Tabs attribute set to 0.5 (the default), I can insert a tab after the * character to make the lists align on the left.  But, if Tabs is less than .5, I might have to press two tabs to get the text to align.  And then the extra white space ends up getting exported.

This should be fairly superficial, but I find myself getting distracted enough that I wish I could adjust these things myself, or just turn them off.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print