Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Note sidebar toggle (Read 4830 times)
Matt Cawood

New England, Australia
Note sidebar toggle
Aug 13th, 2007, 5:30am

A small detail: I often find myself toggling the note sidebar open and closed just to quickly check the state of certain attributes. As a UI detail, it would be easier if the toggle point stayed in the one place. Currently I click once to open the sidebar, scan attributes, then move the mouse to find the toggle and click to close it. It would be preferable if the toggle point stayed put under the mouse pointer, so there was no hunt-and-click in the middle ... but as I said, it's a small detail.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Note sidebar toggle
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2007, 10:00am

This is probably a Feature Request. Meanwhile, have you considered using Ctrl+Cmd+T to toggle sidebar visibility. I know it doesn't use the mouse but it does get around the problem of shifting focus.

Incidentally, I think your request chimes with those who've requested the sidebar collapse the window - i.e. the text area remains the same size. However, as the sidebar is at left and the window is probably anchored/calculated from top left, doing the latter would require recalculating the window size, etc.; collapsing inside the window 'merely' involves re-drawing the non sidebar content inside the existing window. I suspect the latter is easier/less computationally expensive.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Matt Cawood

New England, Australia
Re: Note sidebar toggle
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2007, 8:34pm

You're right - I'd prefer the window size remained the same. In fact, I think it would be the ideal situation for a Cocoa drawer, if Tinderbox were Cocoa. However, whenever I mention my liking for drawers in some situations, I get pelted with the internet version of rotten fruit. There's a lot of drawer-haters out there.

I have tried Ctrl-Cmd-T. It's a digit thing - opening and closing notes is a finger-and-thumb job, and it feels cleaner to leave my right hand over on the mouse, performing other functions. I have to think a bit about Ctl-Cmd-T

Skipped straight over the Feature Requests heading. Next time.

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2007, 8:38pm by Matt Cawood »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print