Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Map View *inside* selected note? (Read 6337 times)
Jack Baty

New Map View *inside* selected note?
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:49pm

I tend to bounce between map and outline views frequently. Most of the time, I select a note in outline view and wish to see its Map view. When choosing "New Map View" (or hitting command-option-M) that note is selected in a map view of the parent rather than the note itself. I then have to hit command-option-downarrow to get "inside" the note's map view. I'm sure this is completely by design, but I thought I'd ask if there is any way to modify this behavior at all.

Thanks,

Jack

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: New Map View *inside* selected note?
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2007, 4:59am

When I open a map on a Note I see the map containing that note, which seems the obvious focus. When you say "...its map view..." I think you mean the map view of its children? I don't believe there's shortcut for that but if you want to see the children, why not simply select one of the note's children and open a map on that?

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2007, 7:50am

Thanks Mark. I could certainly select a child note first, but that would require me to open that node of the outline each time. I tend to navigate TB documents, see a (collapsed) note whose children I want to view as a Map and think, "there it is," select it and hit option-command-M. I then end up seeing that note along with its siblings from its parent's map view, which is one step away from what I wanted. In my mental model of Maps, Note = Map Containing Note's Children, which may be off by one Smiley.

Jack

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2007, 8:23am

In map view, select the container and press down-arrow.  

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2007, 10:12am

Testing shortcuts I find that Up, Cmd+Up, and Cmd+Opt+Up all expand map view. In contrast only Down & Cmd+Opt+Down drill down. Odd as I had Cmd+Down noted as the drill down shortcut. No big deal, but worth noting.

I've re-tested the key combos for aTbRef and updated the shortcuts. As this took some re-factoring of the shortcuts I need to re-synch the whole site so it should be complete < 1 hour from this post.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print