Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Food! (Read 30912 times)
Dick Lane

Re: Food!
Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2010, 3:24am

I second Trevor's comment Quote:
I agree with Mark's perspective that recipes aren't that important—for me, they typically serve as a jumping off or grounding point, upon which to improvise.
 I want to track my variations, e.g., Neuchatel or Cottage Cheese in a cheesecake, how much ginger [but not horseradish Smiley] in cranberry relish, when to add garlic or brandy or curry (but not all) to Shrimp Fra Diavolo, prep vs cooking time.  I want text of original recipe (with citation) so that I know where I started ringing some changes.  I like comparisons reported by cooksillustrated.com (& their books), but I cook with a long gap between quasi-repetitions and can benefit from good records.

My primary suggestion for a link: "what goes well with this" [and its complement: "what did not go well"]

IP Logged
Rigas Arvanitis

Paris (France)
Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2010, 5:03am

why is it americans are obsessed with cheese ?

Smiley

(this doesnt go specially to the previous post ! I dont mean to be rude. Its a real question - being French and Greek I dont see the point of having so many things cooked with cheese).

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2010, 5:05am by Rigas Arvanitis »  

Rigas Arvanitis
WWW   IP Logged
Charles Turner

New York, USA
Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2010, 6:33am

I think it doesn't go back very far, to the 1960s-70s and the increasing popularity of vegetarian/organic cuisine. The U.S. hadn't yet gone through its recent cuisine revolution, and cheese was seen as a meat substitute: literally.

Many dishes, particularly in restaurants, were converted to "vegetarian" by swapping out the "meat" for cheese, which is why there's such a lot of it. It took a while for people to realize that it was probably less healthy for you than the meat is was standing in for.

But hey: Greeks? Aren't you folks the largest per capita consumers of cheese with your Feta? Wink

Filika, Charles

WWW   IP Logged
Rigas Arvanitis

Paris (France)
Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2010, 6:49am

Thanks for the answer Charles !

Quote:
But hey: Greeks? Aren't you folks the largest per capita consumers of cheese with your Feta?

Are we? I didnt know that....  Not so much cooked (except in the tiropita). A lot in salads and only in summmer (the famous "greek salad" which was not a favourite of urban middle classes and called it -still call it "choriatiki" : peasants' salad.

Episis !!
Rigas

Rigas Arvanitis
WWW   IP Logged
Charles Turner

New York, USA
Reply #19 - Jul 27th, 2010, 9:37am

Quote:
Greece is the world's largest (per capita) consumer of cheese, with 27.3 kg eaten by the average Greek. (Feta accounts for three-quarters of this consumption.) France is the second biggest consumer of cheese, with 24 kg by inhabitant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese

So Greece is number one and France number two!

But all this food talk makes me wish I was in Thessaloniki or Exarchia right now. The Feta in my fridge is a poor substitute...

Amitiés, Charles

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print