Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Font Harmonization (Read 14559 times)
Ted Goranson

Virginia Beach VA
Font Harmonization
Aug 27th, 2007, 5:41pm

I paste a lot of items into notes.

When I do, they convey with the original formatting, which I do not want.

Previously, I used a Quickey that selected the text of the entire note, then applied the style I wanted, which happened to be the default style.

Now, TB has gone over to the Apple Font Panel, one of my least favorite OSX components. Anyway, I now have 3 problems.

1) Is there anyway to paste without format? Option paste in other apps is often used.

2) Once I paste text with undesirable styles, is there a menu-driven sequence I can use to normalize it?

3) Even using the Font panel, I cannot adjust the font from what I pasted to what I want. It keeps flipping in midprocess. By this I mean hat the Font panel keeps switching from the one I select before I can assign it.

Thanks.

WWW TedGoranson   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Font Harmonization
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2007, 6:21pm

If the pasted text is still selected, Cmd+Shift+P will remove all formatting. However, on pasting the cursor is moved to the end of the pasted selection. With a new note you can use Cmd+A, Cmd+Shift+P. Otherwise you'll need to manually select the 'bad' text first.

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2007, 6:25pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2007, 6:25pm

Does command-shift-P (Style->Plain) do what you need? Mine usually looks like this...

Cmd-v (paste)
Cmd-a (select all)
Cmd-shift-P (plain)

IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2007, 6:28pm

Er, what Mark said Smiley

IP Logged
Matt Cawood

New England, Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2007, 2:27am

Circus Ponies Notebook handles this issue very neatly. It gives you an option for pasted text to be automatically converted to a default font and size, while maintaining font attributes like bold and italic. Like Ted, I usually want to convert pasted text to a default, but I don't want to lose bolding because it usually carries some significance in breaking up the flow of text.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2007, 6:53am

IIRC, this also cropped up in the wiki (though I can't find where). It seems there are two separate, overlapping feature requests here - neither being currently possible in one operation in Tinderbox (as at v4.0.0):
  • A paste plain (no-formatting at all). Keyboard shortcut also.
  • A paste method (terminology?) preserving bold and italics only. Or perhaps other mark-up but resetting font face and size to the note's settings (or TBX's defaults if note otherwise unaltered). Keyboard shortcut also.

I'm just clarifying here, as there's more than one possible interpretation (it's also Eastgate's choice how/if they're accommodated). If this isn't what's required please correct me.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2007, 4:12pm

A shortcut for the latter of the two modified paste methods suggested above would help with another issue. Dragging content between TBXs.

Drag some notes from TBX A to TBX B and if the TBX's preferences for base text font differs, B's new note's have the wrong font, i.e. A's. In such a case being able to do a modified-drag yielding mark-up but not font original font would be neat.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Matt Cawood

New England, Australia
Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2007, 9:15pm

I'd vote for that.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2007, 10:40pm

The question is, do we really want TWO keyboard shortcuts devoted to restoring the default font?

cmd-shift-P: PLAIN style
       (new shortcut): paste using current font but retaining other style information

And, if we do, do we not want to change the SIZE of the pasted text as well?  Or remove the size information, too?  What if the text we paste has a clear headline and body text?  

I confess that we've sometimes been parsimonious with version numbers, and integers are abundant.  But keyboard shortcuts are a very finite resource, and already in Tinderbox 1.0 we were running short of them! Once we commit to a shortcut, it's especially hard to take it back.  But we might need to -- or Apple might take it back willy-nilly.

So, do we really want TWO shortcuts for removing style information?

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2007, 5:44am

If there were Preferences to allow users to set which sub-set of mark-up (typeface, size, bolding, etc.) they wanted removed' in a paste,  then one plain paste command/shortcut could serve several groups of users with slightly different plain text paste needs. Having a config would also let them swap their defaults if required. Having a preference makes more sense than more attributes here as the configuration doesn't need to differ across a single TBX.

Another way to relieve pressure on shortcuts might be to make more use of the Note Windows text area context (right+/Ctrl+click) menu. Currently it just has a link to Spotlight but having access to copy/cut/paste/plain paste/make plain/bold/italic/select all would take pressure off shortcuts. I notice shortcuts are used as often to avoid the 'mouse miles' of trips to the menu bar as they are for mouse-less operations.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Matt Cawood

New England, Australia
Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2007, 5:05pm

I agree with Mark: Tinderbox could keep cmd-shft-P as the "make Plain" command, but have a preference to toggle whether the command converts all text, or converts body text and retains font attributes like bold and italic.

But then if the body text is bold, and you want to convert it to Plain ...

An option key toggle between Make Plain All and Make Plain But Retain Font Attributes?

Matt

IP Logged
Eric Abrahamsen

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2007, 9:42am

And... Paste and match style is the perfect solution. I squawked about this once on the wiki a long time ago, and am thrilled to see it's in there. Does just what you want it to, and matches other OSX applications nicely.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2008, 9:30am

Bottom line: paste and match style is now in Tinderbox.

I was skeptical, and I was mistaken; it's great to have.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print