Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finding text within current note. (Read 4066 times)
Jack Baty

Finding text within current note.
Sep 03rd, 2007, 4:56pm

I sometimes create longer notes and would like to constrain the search to just the note I'm working on. Is there a way to find text by searching only within the current note?

The current process is to bring up the find dialog, search, and double-click what I hope is the note I'm working on from the list. This works, but skipping that middle bit about the Find dialog would be neat.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Finding text within current note.
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007, 5:25am

I think that's a 'no' (or perhaps a Feature Request), as you need a 2 stage filter: first the name of the containing note and second the desired search text.

Sadly an agent doesn't help here. Whilst it can locate the correct note by the query Name(^Note name$)&Text(Something to search for) it doesn't - as Find does - by highlighting the search string.

There are requests from some users for Search & Replace and the above need might get folded into that, but I think it could be implemented more simply (quickly - dev time /cost!) in the current find menu. So I'm proposing...

... the Find dialog's left drop-down adds another entry 'Current Note' to the top section (i.e. after 'Name' & before the divider line). If selected, the middle drop-down would be greyed out and the search-box would be used to input search strings as usual (perhaps now limited to string litterals not regexp?). Only the note selected in the current view would appear in the match list and double clicking it would open it will all instances of the current search term highlighted.

I guess one could alternately add an option to Agents to highlight matches but I think that's more complex (agents match on other things than just text string) plus - more importantly - when you close the Find dialog there's no other work to do (e.g. deleting an agent) in order to clear up.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print