Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Changing the default note color (Read 10351 times)
Andrew Saffer

Changing the default note color
Sep 17th, 2007, 2:53am

I'd prefer something other than the brown default note color I get for all new Tinderbox Maps.

How do I change it so it traverses all new Tinderbox documents?

Sorry to be sooo newbie, but I looked online, and couldn't find the solution.  :'(

Thanks,

Andrew

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Changing the default note color
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2007, 4:23am

I don't think you've missed anything. It seems the from v4.0.0 (earlier - I didn't note it), the default colour value of 'normal' was changed from 'black' to 'warm gray dark'. The latter setting is internal to Tinderbox and not directly configurable.

I did try using acustom color config file, changing this line in colors.xml:
<color name="normal" />
...to...
<color name="normal" color="#000000"/>
but this does not work so don't bother doing it yourself. It appears 'normal' is hard-coded into the Tinderbox app.

The best you can do is email Eastgate and ask that this colour be made a preference - or at least a preference choice of pre-set values. I note the latter as not all colours may be a sensible value to use as 'normal'. [Update - but before doing so do make sure to read down to Mark Bernstein's post below].

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2007, 3:35am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2007, 5:27am

Thanks, Andrew

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2007, 6:30am

Oh, and one more thing not to bother testing! If you open a new TBX and then it's colours palette (Cmd+2 -> Colors pane), you will see that 'normal' is #000000 (black). Try changing this to another colour and then adding new notes. No change.

So I was wrong above, new notes don't use the document's 'normal' colour as their view colour but rather a value hard-coded in the app.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2007, 6:34am

That changing 'normal' won't get me anything other than brown notes I found out. I opened the colour palette and looked for anything resembling brown, and couldn't find it. 'Normal' certainly wasn't it either.

Thanks again,

Andrew

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2007, 8:42am

The colour being used is #554A3F which just happens to be the colour also defined as the standard 'warm gray' colour's 'dark' variant.  Still the similarity counts for nought as you can't alter the underlying default for new notes.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
YES!  You CAN change the default color
Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2007, 9:35am

If you don't like the warm, chocolately color of Tinderbox's default notes, you can change it to something more congenial.  In fact, you can change it in several different ways!  

Method 1

Open the Attributes panel (cmd-2), select the System pane, and scroll down to the section of "Map" attributes.  There, you'll find the attribute Color.  You'll see that it defaults to "dark warm gray".  Just change that to some other color -- either a named color (red) or a Web color (#993300) or and RGB or HSV color.  Press Change.  Now, new notes (and notes that inherit the default Color) will have your new color.

Method 2
Perhaps the problem is that you're tired of this particular tone, and you'd prefer a different one.  Perhaps our "warm gray" is too warm.  Let's cool it off by changing the meaning of "warm gray".  Open the Attributes palette (cmd-2), select the Colors pane, and choose "warm gray" from the list.  You'll see that it's currently defined as #807060.  Type in a new color (or use the color picker to choose one) and press Change.  Voila!

Both of these measures affect the current document.  If you use Method 2, you can save the Color Scheme and then drop your color scheme file into new documents to give them the new definition of Warm Gray.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2007, 10:17am

I stand corrected on how to get to the default colour here. But I do believe though the answer to the OP's question:
Quote:
I'd prefer something other than the brown default note color I get for all new Tinderbox Maps. How do I change it so it traverses all new Tinderbox documents?

...is now "You don't! However, you can change it on a per-file basis for individual TBXs"

Unless there's a TB pref I've not found for setting the default value of the Color system attribute, or you can do it via a user config file then you still have to make a TBX, and customise Color (or drag in a pre-saved custom palette) before use.

Don't let anyone misunderstand my previous comments in the thread as implying Tinderbox's colours in general are very configurable in a host of ways - you can define colors (by name, web colour, HSV, etc...) add predefined name colors to the menu, make savable color palette. Go see aTbRef for more on that.

Interestingly a saved colour palette file has data other than colours:
<mapfont >Lucida Grande</mapfont>
<textfont >Lucida Grande</textfont>
<mapfontsize >12</mapfontsize>
<textsize >12</textsize>
<paragraphspacing >4</paragraphspacing>

Might there not be scope for allowing it to hold the a default for 'Color', such than when the palette is applied, that TBX's default Color value becomes that of the applied TBX.
Alternately, might not Color default be set in colors.xml allowing the OP to achieve the aim of making one setting change and all subsequent new TBX's taking up that change.

This gives a potential inheritance chain;
App's built in-default for Color
App's colors.xml
User colors.xml [optional]
User applied TBC colour palette file [optional]
TBX's default Color value
Note Color value

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2007, 10:48am

The aTbRef page on the Color attribute has been updated to reflect this thread. Changes: default from v4.0.4 is 'warm gray dark' instead of 'black' and that it isn't possible to set the default of Color at app level (i.e. pre-emptively for all subsequent TBXs).

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2007, 7:43pm

Dear Marks,

You were both very helpful.

Thank you,