Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
window management (Read 8465 times)
Rick

Japan
window management
Sep 17th, 2007, 9:57pm

I often have 3 different Tinderbox documents open, with perhaps 3 windows for each document. Sometimes it's difficult to know to what document a specific window belongs, especially for a Find window. Is there any way to show all the windows of a specific document, but no other windows, i.e. hide all other windows?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: window management
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2007, 3:55am

Short answer - No, not for all windows of a single TBX when several are open.

Most view windows have a label of the form 'viewtype: notename'; this is true for all dialogs called from the View menu except History, Path View and Common Words.

Window (menu) -> Bring All to Front (item) will do just that but it does as it says. All Tinderbox windows are brought in front of other apps' windows but maintaining their current z-order (front-to-back stacking order) within Tinderbox.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
maurice

London, UK
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2007, 12:17pm

What I do in this situation is give each file a different color, so you can immediately tell from the color which file any particular window comes from. Set the color from Maps>Background color and Text>Background color, selecting the same color both times. Then repeat using a different color for the next file. †Then all windows from file 1, will be, say, blue and all windows from file 2 will be red etc.

IP Logged
Trevor Harvey

Tallahassee
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2007, 1:31pm

Thank you for that suggestion, Maurice. I, too, have found this a bit problematic in keeping things straight with multiple Tinderbox documents open. I expect your suggestion to help with this issue.

However, I second Rick's request for a way to hide all of the windows for a particular tbx file (or hide all windows except the ones pertaining to the frontmost tbx file). This would allow the user to focus only on the windows relevant to the particular task, without having to go through the process of saving and closing all other open tbx files.

Also, it would be nice to have the option (application-wide preference checkbox, perhaps) for displaying the filename along with the note name in the window title bar.

IP Logged
Matt Cawood

New England, Australia
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2007, 10:11pm

I use map background colours to identify different TBX files, but colours don't operate in the Find window. It would be handy if they did.

- Matt

IP Logged
Willem Smelik

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2007, 7:43pm

Trevor Harvey wrote on Sep 20th, 2007, 1:31pm:
Thank you for that suggestion, Maurice. I, too, have found this a bit problematic in keeping things straight with multiple Tinderbox documents open. I expect your suggestion to help with this issue.

However, I second Rick's request for a way to hide all of the windows for a particular tbx file (or hide all windows except the ones pertaining to the frontmost tbx file). This would allow the user to focus only on the windows relevant to the particular task, without having to go through the process of saving and closing all other open tbx files.

Also, it would be nice to have the option (application-wide preference checkbox, perhaps) for displaying the filename along with the note name in the window title bar.

These are good suggestions, I think. I was just looking into possible suggestions, as I too have different .tbx files open at times, which can be confusing.
However, I don't want to change the background colour of my text windows. So I settled for changing the colours of the title bars. That works quite nicely, except for Map view when there is no title bar. Thanks for this idea.

I would still like the possibility to hide one document so as to focus on another.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2007, 9:08am

For those wanting to try the window colouring method, v4.0.2 introduced some tweaks to assist with this - see the v4.0.2 release notes.

An idea occurs about window management (though I've no idea if this is a pig to program...). †I often run with one or two TBXs I'm working on plus references (i.e. aTbRef) plus a sandbox TBX for testing rules, ideas. †At times I want to show/hide one or more TBX's windows - or faling that push them to the back of the visual stack.

My concept is the app's Window menu has a section listing each discrete open TBX as a show/hide item, plus a 'Show All' (or perhaps the existing 'bring all to front' could do the latter). The idea is that each 'unwanted' TBCX could be toggled off when no needed. †Perhaps a Cmd+click on the menu item could hide all except the clicked item. †

Like I say, I don't know how practical/difficult this is to add to the app, but throw out the idea for consideration.

« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2007, 10:05am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Willem Smelik

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2007, 1:04pm

That is exactly what I'd like to see implementedóbut I, too, have no idea how difficult that is. And in terms of priority, it's not the highest on my list. The highest is in another thread Wink

BTW, the title bar colouring works well for me. (It is important in one case, where I duplicated info into another tbx-file, to play around with it, remove certain attributes, and above all, create a number of important maps. But when I want to revise text in the documents, I need to know which project they belong to - the masterfile, or the playaround file, and I cannot see it in most cases, as they are identical. Title bar colouring solved that!)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print