Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Archiving Notes (Read 6380 times)
Guy Mengel

University of Virginia
Archiving Notes
Oct 12th, 2007, 10:53am

Hello,
Been using TB for a while now as a tool to manage my day to day tasks.  As the tasks are completed I would like to archive them.  It appears the only way I can figure out how to do this is manually move the notes periodically to another TB archive file I keep.  Is there a better way?  I don't think I can use an agent or a rule as they promise never to modify an existing note...  Any help appreciated.  PS.. I did search for "archive" on both the forum and wiki.

Thanks!
-Guy

treebeardguy   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Archiving Notes
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2007, 2:12pm

You are correct that a TB action or rule can't move a notes within the structure of the TBX.  It could however set an archive value in a user attribute. An agent could find such notes ready for you to archive them by dragging into another TBX.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Guy Mengel

University of Virginia
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2007, 6:41am

Thanks Mark!  This is what I was planning to do anyway...just wanted to confirm.  Thanks also for helping!
-Guy

treebeardguy   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2007, 11:19am

I prefer to archive notes within their document.  

In some projects, where time is of the essence, I create notes inside time-based containers.  Weblogs are a good example of this; posts from this month go into Sep07, and next month's posts go into Oct07.  Older containers might be "disabled" -- turning off export and removing rules and actions -- so that they don't change.

In other projects, I have a special container "Done" or "Archive" where old notes are files for safekeeping.  The archive container can automatically timestamp notes, set a status attribute, and do other housekeeping that might be needful.  And agents can easily use that housekeeping to exclude the archives from searches to which they're no longer relevant.

WWW   IP Logged
Matt Cawood

New England, Australia
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2007, 3:54pm

I run a Tinderbox job file (I'm a journalist), and have found archiving the many notes that go into it progressively slows down saves. So when a job is done, I highlight all the notes in a job container, enlist Nakakoji view, and export them all as a text file. (The template I use also includes any URL links I may have created).  Spotlight does a good job of finding the notes, and the TBX job file, which only contains current and pending notes, remains at about 1.3 MB.

Matt

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print