Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leopard Ready? (Read 10958 times)
F451

Leopard Ready?
Oct 24th, 2007, 11:36am

Can those out there who have been using Leopard, as a developer, please verify whether Tinderbox is working with Leopard? Also, what glitches, if any, are you encountering? Thank you.

IP Logged
Talal

Re: Leopard Ready?
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2007, 5:32pm

As I'm thinking of upgrading to Leopard within the next few days, I'd like to know if there will be any problems with TBX as well. Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Leopard Ready?  Yes
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2007, 1:13pm

Yes, Tinderbox is fine with Leopard.

("Fine" is, of course, subject to the same caveats that confront every Macintosh developer.  We're fine with the seeded advance copies to which developers have had access. There COULD be some last-minute change in the shipped version.  But that's not likely, and it's not likely to affect Tinderbox.)

WWW   IP Logged
F451

Re: Leopard Ready?  Yes
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2007, 3:37pm

Mark Bernstein wrote on Oct 26th, 2007, 1:13pm:
Yes, Tinderbox is fine with Leopard.

("Fine" is, of course, subject to the same caveats that confront every Macintosh developer.  We're fine with the seeded advance copies to which developers have had access. There COULD be some last-minute change in the shipped version.  But that's not likely, and it's not likely to affect Tinderbox.)

Thanks! Excellent news (caveats included).

IP Logged
Robert Ullrey

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2007, 11:24pm

I am running the latest Tinderbox on the official release of Leopard and it is working fine.

IP Logged
peter lindsay

st andrews
Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2007, 7:15am

yes, running 4.02 with leopard - no problems.

plindsay.000   IP Logged
Ioa Petra-ka

Portland, Oregon, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2007, 12:20pm

Tinderbox seems to run really slow on my MacBook now that I have upgraded to Leopard. It ran fine before. Launch time is way down, and it takes a lot longer to open projects. Interface isn't as responsive. It seems to run at full speed on my older G5 which is also upgraded. Is it running through Rosetta or something? I'm using Tb 4.0.2 and OS 10.5

Av
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2007, 1:06pm

Tinderbox should run at the same speed, or faster, with Leopard.  It's possible some third application is causing problems. (Tinderbox uses Rosetta on Leopard as well as Tiger, but that's unlikely to be an issue)

First launch after a reboot might be *slightly* slower, for housekeeping.

"Seems" is always a red flag when discussing performance. Let's talk specifics. tinderbox@eastgate.com

WWW   IP Logged
Dean Lewis

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2007, 3:28pm

I can absolutely report that performance is slower on a MBP under Rosetta.
No question.
Having said that, I can report that it is only obvious when drilling into, or coming out of a container.
Even with a container with only a few notes, the time it takes to re-render the map is slow.
This is not a show-stopper by any stretch, but there is no question that in daily use, TBX "feels" slower in general than any UB app I am using. Not so much that it affects my user experience, but it is there.

Dean

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2007, 3:29pm by Dean Lewis »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2007, 11:19pm

This is almost certainly unrelated to Rosetta; if the effect is real, it's probably just a race between the animation and the screen update thread. (The work of moving into or out of a container is trivial -- a matter of microseconds.  Of course, if either the interior or the exterior map is very large, reformatting the map might take a longer time on any system.)

But we can't reproduce the problem, even on a laptop running a large display on rather large files.  Contacting tech support at Eastgate with details is probably your best course.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print