Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Magnify Fonts (Read 6278 times)
Dean Lewis

Magnify Fonts
Dec 13th, 2007, 3:25pm

I have a huge monitor, so I crank up the Magnify Fonts to 100%.
It makes it great for working.
But... when I print, it prints magnified. If I lower the Magnify Fonts to normal, it prints just fine.
Am I missing something? I thought Magnify fonts was just for display purposes.
Also, I found a bug. If a text window is open, and you change the magnify font value, the open text window does not respect the new value and will never change again. I can change the mag font value however I like, but that note is forever stuck. Unopened notes will still respect any changes in the values.

Dean

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Magnify Fonts
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2007, 11:28pm

Magnify Fonts is meant primarily for reading documents which you're sharing.  If your screen resolution is much higher than your collaborator's, then you want to have some way to say, "when she says 12pt I really want to see 18pt".

In this scenario, you don't want to print huge letters; you just want to see them larger on the screen because your high-resolution screen makes small letters too small.

If you're not dealing with this special scenario, just use larger fonts.

(You're probably accustomed to Microsoft Word, which is tied in turn to scaling a physical page.  In Word, you typically need to view the "page" at 140% or so in order to see your work, but Word's canonical scale is tied to the size of physical paper and envelopes.  We don't have that constraint; just use whatever fonts look best to you.)

WWW   IP Logged
Dean Lewis

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2007, 9:59am

Hmmm. Okay. But If I use a larger font, does not inherently mean it will be printed at that size?
Often I will just want to print a note for quick proof. While selecting the note I just command-p and print. Will it not print at the larger font?
I believe I am partly confused by the multiple places that font size is set.

IP Logged
Dean Lewis

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2007, 9:57pm

Ya. So, the problem persists, in the sense I cannot find a solution to my problem.
I want to be able to keep the font at 12pt so that when I print ,all is good, but I would like that when I open a note, it is "zoom" for my old and withered eyes. Is there no easy way to do this, or am I just massively dense?

dean

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2007, 10:02am

No; Tinderbox assumes that, if you're happy with 12pt type on the page, you're happy with the same size of type on the screen.

Of course, if your destination is a word processor or page layout program, you'll surely apply the style sheet mandated by your publisher or graphic designer.  So, for final export to print, this is irrelevant.

For on-screen reading, Magnify Fonts does what you want.  (And setting Magnify Fonts to a suitable value while all text and explorer views are closed, and then leaving it alone, might be good enough for what you want to do.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print