Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
File Extension (Read 17739 times)
Richard Bullen

File Extension
Dec 18th, 2007, 4:55pm

I'm using LEAP to tag files on my system.
It appears to identify file types by their extension.
However, when attempting to add TB to the list of file types I got the following error message:
"The File Type Could Not Be Determined"

I couldn't find a way to expose a file extension and couldn't find any references in this forum.

Is there a file extension for TB files?
If not how would a user get a search function or tagging application to identify TB Files?

Thanks

RB

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: File Extension
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2007, 6:12pm

Tinderbox uses several  extensions, the main and most significant being '.tbx' for actual Tinderbox document (data) files. You might benefit from reading the aTbRef section on Tinderboxfile types.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Richard Bullen

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2007, 6:57pm

Thanks, I sorted it out. I appreciate  your quick response.

For the sake of anyone else running into this problem the referenced explanation says the following
Quote:
As from v2.5.0, new Tinderbox files default to having a '.TBX' filename extension. This is not shown in the file save dialog but as added as part of the initial file save. The extension will show in Finder and within Tinderbox window titles on any subsequent use.

However, I found that not to be the case.
There was no extension shown in the finder and the option to "unhide" the extension was grayed out.
I had to add the extension to the file and then everything worked as expected, including the recognition in LEAP.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2007, 11:04pm

As in most (all) other Mac software, the file name is under your control. Tinderbox recognizes .tbx as its own extension, as well as .xml .  The Get Info window lets you show or hide the extension, as you prefer.

WWW   IP Logged
Richard Bullen

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2007, 11:45pm

Mark Bernstein wrote on Dec 18th, 2007, 11:04pm:
As in most (all) other Mac software, the file name is under your control. Tinderbox recognizes .tbx as its own extension, as well as .xml .  The Get Info window lets you show or hide the extension, as you prefer.

The problem here was that the check box in the info window was grayed out and so it would not clear to expose the extension - so in my case, for whatever reason, it wasn't under my control.
I had to manually add the extension in the info box and then the check box was cleared and I could check or uncheck it.
FYI.

Thanks for the help.

RB

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2007, 9:27am

The Get Info checkbox to "hide extension" was grayed out, I think you'll find, because the file had no extension to hide.

Early Tinderbox releases didn't use file extensions at all, and lots of people continue to omit them.  The default suggestion for file naming has changed from time to time, of course.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print