Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No Tinderbox at Work (Read 6327 times)
olonoff

No Tinderbox at Work
Dec 26th, 2007, 11:23am

I have Tinderbox running on my iMac at home. I work in a secure government facility, and unsurprisingly I don't have a Mac at work nor do I have Tinderbox. I do have access to email, google docs, things like that. What would be the best solution and format for sending myself a note destined for Tinderbox? I'm aware of the custom mailbox route but would rather not go that way.

thanks,

Neil

« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2007, 11:25am by olonoff »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: No Tinderbox at Work
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2007, 1:28pm

Conceivably, Tinderbox for Windows is the long term answer.  Some other possibilities:

* Email to Tinderbox works beautifully for short text notes, such as you might want to send from your iPhone.  (You don't want to use this option, but others might find it ideal so I mention it here)

* Store text notes in a text file at a known URL.  Tinderbox can then autofetch the note.  

* If you need special authentication or decryption services, consider using a command-line curl command or a script to fetch and decrypt the information.  Use a rule to assign it automatically to the Text attribute of a designated note.

* Tinderbox's ability to read and import RSS might be useful here as well.

* If you can store your Tinderbox file on a server that's accessible from work, you could directly manipulate the file from work, perhaps using XSLT.

Other ideas?

WWW   IP Logged
olonoff

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2007, 1:43pm

Mark
Reviewing the options, I guess setting up a discrete email account is probably the best option after all. It had seemed complex, but the other options even more so.  I suppose I can set up a private gmail account exclusively for my Tinderbox stuff ....

I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps setting up a template in Word that would easily convert to a note, or something like that.  But of course I'd have to email that doc, as well, and would have a manual process of uploading into tinderbox.

Neil

IP Logged
maurice

London, UK
Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2007, 1:43am

You could always email the notes intended for Tb to your existing account with some distinctive text/symbols either in the subject line or the body of the text. Then set up a Smart Mailbox to collect those messages...

IP Logged
olonoff

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2007, 3:20am

Well, I decided to set up a dedicated free pop account after all. After considering the other possibilities, this really is the best alternative. And it works. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Neil

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print