Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Integration with Voodoo Pad (Read 8531 times)
AsafKeller

Integration with Voodoo Pad
Dec 27th, 2007, 1:55pm

On other forums AmberV describes a potentially interesting workflow involving VoodooPad (VP) and TB. In what format would VP files be imported? Would the links survive? Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Integration with Voodoo Pad
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2007, 11:04am

Tinderbox treats CamelCase words as implicit WikiLinks -- cmd-opt-click on a WikiWord will open the note of that name -- creating a new note, if the note doesn't already exist.

So, VoodooPad's wiki links remain useful in Tinderbox, albeit they aren't "really" Tinderbox links.

WWW   IP Logged
punkmonksf

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2007, 2:41pm

CamelCase words do not seem to produce a link on my end. Not sure why.

Karekin

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2007, 9:05am

CamelCase WikiWords don't create links.  

Cmd-opt-click on a CamelCase word in a text space will open the note "CamelCase" as if it were linked to the word, creating a new note as would a wiki.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2008, 3:00pm

TinderWiki links are described in this Tinderbox wiki page. The topic will also be covered in the next release of aTbRef.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
AsafKeller

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2008, 3:09pm

Mark Anderson wrote on Jan 2nd, 2008, 3:00pm:
TinderWiki links are described in this Tinderbox wiki page.

Where I read:

Quote:
Due to their dynamic nature, WikiLinks will not be available in any of Tinderbox's tools for examining and finding links, such as the Browse Links dialog, Roadmap, various query and template calls, nor will it be highlighted as a link when holding down Cmd-Opt in the note window, or drawn on the Map view.

Is there a straightforward way to convert (all) WikiLinks to 'real' TB links?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2008, 4:23pm

I doubt it as you'd need some access to the TB internals that do the wiki-link parsing. There's no app interface I'm aware of. I guess one might (I'm not expert enough) do some clever scripting of the TBX source XML.

I looked at TinderWiki links when I first discovered the feature but as most of my projects get exported to web pages, I dropped use of such links early on for precisely the reason you raise - no easy means to translate them to basic links (other than manually). That's not to say there's anything wrong with TinderWiki links - they just need to be used in the right context.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2008, 1:06pm

One reason that TinderWiki link aren't automagically converted into "real" Tinderbox links is, simply, the likelihood that, if you want to export them, you're likely to be wanting to export them to a wiki rather than to a static web page.  If exporting to a wiki, you want the WikiLinks to be WikiStyle!

How large is the document you want to import?  Making those links by hand, with the aid of Tinderbox's fast FIND dialog and facilities for keeping lots of windows open, might be the most convenient approach.

WWW   IP Logged
AsafKeller

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2008, 2:05pm

Thanks much for the prompt responses. The files are not too large at the moment, but I would very much like to have a workflow in which the note taking takes place in VoodooPad, because I find this approach much faster. In that case, the files will grow t a significant size.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print