Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Presentation assistant (Read 7703 times)
RandyBomer

Presentation assistant
Jan 05th, 2008, 4:18pm

I'm having trouble downloading the presentation assistant to a MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.4.11.  I keep getting this error message when I try to open what looks like a TBX file: Couldn't open "Presentation Assistant.pkg".  I dragged it to the desktop and tried again but got the same message.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Presentation assistant
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2008, 7:57am

It certainly used to work, but I can't get it to work here (I'm on 10.4.10). Try a version I downloaded and used a year or so back there is the same problem.  My hunch is the package/bundle needs re-creating under a current OS - overtime something in the OS has probably changed to do with closing a security loophole.

Aha...try this.  Open the DMG and then drag the '.pkg' file to your desktop (or somewhere on your hard drive). In finder right-click the pkg's icon and click 'Show package contents'. In the new window that opens drill down through Contents -> MacOS. You should now see several folders/files including a 'wizard.twiz' Double-click this and the wizard will open. I've not had a chance to test beyond that but once (if!) open it should then work as expected.

From this is looks like the internal 'autorun' settings in the package are not currently configured as the OS requires in order to launch the right file when you double-click the package itself.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2008, 11:11am

[Later...] I've figured it out - sort of.  If you run the pkg, he Mac OS Installer app runs.  However, if you change the extension from '.pkg' (Mac OS package) to '.twiz' (Tinderbox wizard) then all functions onrmally.  NOTE: you won't be able to exchange the extension in the mounted DMG - drag the pkg file to your hard drive first.

I suspect the problem is in use of the 'pkg' extension that has doubtless evloved from when this demo was created.  I know, from trying to make my own TB wizards (and as documented at aTbRef) that you're not mkaing package [sic] but a 'bundle'. Both are in effect 'special' types of folder - IOW a oflder of content that Mac OS treats in a special way. I'm not a Mac OS expert but working through Apple docs I part understand a way of making a functional Mac OS bundle [sic] for Tinderbox wizard use is documented here. What the article doesn't expressly say - because I didn't understand when I wrote it and only partially understand now - is that we're making a 'bundle'.**

** The destinction is not trivial. Look up 'creating a Mac package' and you'll soon find yourself being asked to install Apple Development tools and coder-only stuff; not really safe for the ordinary Mac user.  It seems, q.v. above, that without special dev-only tools anyone can create a valid Mac OS bundle (all a TB wizard needs).  

It would be great if a TB user with real Mac programming skills could clarify in human-understandable terms this package vs bundle issue.  The Apple docs are, um, less than clear, to an ordinary user. Understanding this better would be good as Eastgate have provided some really useful functionality in the TB  'wizard' featured (as semi-documented in aTbRef). However, the bundle creation part is far more arcane than that with which the average user is probably comfortable. Still, I do encourage people to try.  My impetus it trying the technique was the need to deploy, in my wiki-watching/help 'hat',  a demo TBX showing HTML export techniques plus the necessary templates in a single distributable files; before someone says 'zip', the issue there is the TBX can't set/use relative paths for locating it's templates, a wizard sets these paths and thus avoids the problem.

[Sorry for the long answer but I hope it saves someone the time I've spend diagnosing this].

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2008, 11:12am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2008, 1:37pm

I've updated the Presentation Assistant download in the Tinderbox Public File Exchange to resolve the problem!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print