Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
indicating "completed" tasks (Read 14530 times)
Mark Crane

Orem, Utah
indicating "completed" tasks
Jan 25th, 2008, 5:33pm

This is incredibly simple, I'm sure, but what is your preferred method for indicating that a task has been completed?  I am building a massive todo list but need some what to label completed tasks and sort them accordingly.

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2008, 5:33pm by Mark Crane »  
  IP Logged
RobertW

Re: indicating "completed" tasks
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2008, 8:32am

I have an attribute called "Status".  This allows the item to be Completed, Maybe, Waiting, or Discarded. I have a stamp:

Color=normal;Badge=check mark; Due=never;Status=Completed

This puts a satisfying big green check mark next to it, and it is no longer included in agents for active tasks.

At this point, I don't specially sort out completed tasks, they just remain there with check marks.  I can see this becoming a problem as time goes by. Anyone have ideas for this?

IP Logged
DerikBadman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2008, 10:06am

I have a boolean attribute for "Completed" and an agent to find all "Completed=true" and change them to a grey color (so they kind of fade back). Though Robert's stamp may be a better way to go, so I don't have to keep that agent running.

I occasionally drag all completed notes into a completed "folder" for each of my main areas of work. Keeps my active areas a little less messy.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2008, 10:28am

I drag completed tasks into a container named "Done", and let the container do several things:

• set Completed="today", so I know when the task was finished
  • sort completed tasks in reverse chronological order, so the most recently-finished tasks are ready to hand
  • reset status flags like Overdue and Urgent
  • change the Color, OutlineTextSize, and NameFont so the finished tasks a gray and appear in a compact, legible typeface.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Crane

Orem, Utah
Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2008, 11:25am

These are excellent suggestions that also highlight some cool features of TB--I look forward to trying the out, thank you!

IP Logged
Ioa Petra-ka

Portland, Oregon, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2008, 7:56am

Like Mark, I prefer to record when an action is completed, as well as when it is started for that matter. So I simply record its completed state as a date-stamp. If the note has the completion date-stamp set, it is considered completed by all relevant agents and rules.

Quote:
At this point, I don't specially sort out completed tasks, they just remain there with check marks.  I can see this becoming a problem as time goes by. Anyone have ideas for this?

I also like to keep completed tasks in their current context for a while, rather than moving them to an archival container, so I have a stamp that turns on an archival agent (which uses the new Container attribute to move them), and then another agent which switches off the archival agent once it runs out of matches. I tried using a rule to manage the AgentPriority all by itself, but found that often the rule would run before the agent had a chance to collect anything. So another agent running at a very low priority status is a better "watch dog."

Using a date-stamp has another benefit: An agent with an export template collects everything that has transpired during the day, and exporting that HTML file gives me a nicely formatted daily journal.

Av
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print