Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reorganizing and Grouping Notes Based on Children (Read 9938 times)
Chris

Reorganizing and Grouping Notes Based on Children
Jan 26th, 2008, 8:24pm

Basically what I am looking to do is to make use of a list of notes like:

Part 1
 Chapter 2
    Page 33
       Jake
          Runs Away
        Jenny
           Cries
   Chapter 3
      Jake
        Page 45
          Comes Back
          Steals Jenny's Car
      Page 46
         Jake
           Runs away again

Basically I'm hoping to find software that could take notes in a format similar to that outline and then reorganize it so each character is given all of the actions attributed to them.  The particular format, or something like it is important so I can go down a page with many characters and easily pull out important information.   Something like:

Jake
Page 33 - Runs Away
Page 45 - Comes Back; Steals Jenny's Car
etc.

The goal would be to be able to view that data based on what the characters do in a particular Part or Chapter and then the narrative as a whole, with a tree organized like Part-Characters-Actions or Chapter-Characters-Actions, so the characters are always the second tier.  It also might be nice if I could also put in attributes along with actions.

It would also be nice and fairly important for the characters with more actions attributed be automatically scaled on the map.

Can Tinderbox do all/most of this?  Do you know of anything that does?  I'm sorry if it seems like a long description, but I'm trying to help my students understand some complex stories with many minor characters that vary in importance.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2008, 2:38am by Chris »  
  IP Logged
Chris

Re: Reorganizing and Grouping Notes Based on Paren
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2008, 8:28pm

I looked at what I wrote and it might be easier to use something like:

Jake
Page 33 - Runs Away
Page 45 - Comes Back; Steals Jenny's Car
etc.

As the actual outline, so that eliminates part of the complexity.  The outline would still be Part-Chapter-Character-Actions/Attribs, and I would still need a map based on the individual chapter/part or the whole book, with more important parts of the map scaled.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Reorganizing and Grouping Notes Based on Child
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2008, 8:34am

Using the latter outline, and a 'Set' data type user attribute "Character", you could find all Jake's involvement by making an agent and using these settings:

Name: Jake's story
Query: Character(Jake)  [i.e. 'Character' contains 'Jake']
Sort by: Name  (case-insensitive)

Using this method you would need to create an agent per character. As the page number is part of the name, the sort will only be effective to page level (alphabetical below that). so, if there are two discrete events (notes) on a given page they may not sort in order in the agent.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print