Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox > MultiMarkdown > LaTex > PDF Workflow (Read 11348 times)
Mort OSullivan

Tinderbox > MultiMarkdown > LaTex > PDF Workflow
Jan 28th, 2008, 9:18pm

I am intrigued with the idea of creating beautiful PDF documents from my Tinderbox files using MultiMarkdown and LaTex as the vehicle to get there. Has anyone ever done this before?
I am sure it is possible given Tinderbox's flexible export templates but I didn't want to start from scratch if anyone has already done some work in this area and is willing to share templates.

IP Logged
Willem Smelik

Re: Tinderbox > MultiMarkdown > LaTex > PDF Workflow
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2008, 12:41pm

Noting that you haven't received a reply so far, I'm not following the workflow you describe; I am however using the combo Tinderbox and Ulysses for a similar purpose. I organize, make notes and keep track of a project in Tb, but I write in Ulysses. Ulysses has a very good LaTeX exporter (as well as Word and rtf), which produces the desired result in TeXshop.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2008, 1:54pm

I often go Tinderbox > HTML > Word > pdf.  

Or, for my most recent project like this, Tinderbox > HTML > Safari > Pages > pdf, since I wanted the nice OpenType support in Pages and wanted to give Pages a shot.

WWW   IP Logged
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Re: Tinderbox > MultiMarkdown > LaTex > PDF W
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2009, 8:09am

For work that needs further tweaking in Word before a PDF is produced, I've found that Word will import HTML with CSS styling (CSS v1, AFAIK).  This makes Tinderbox > HTML (with CSS) > Word more robust.

(I should mention that Word 2008 seems to be less respectful of CSS than Word 2004.)

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2009, 10:25am by Paul Walters »  
  IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2009, 10:10am

or just

tinderbox -> html -> safari-> print -> print pdf

Sebastian Stephenson sebey9   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2009, 10:14pm

I write lectures in Tinderbox every week, and each week I get stumped at exporting for Pages. I find that I have to spend an hour after each export re-indenting and assigning paragraph styling...

Can anyone in this list that has a template for exporting in any good way to Pages please post it?

Thanks, Andrew

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2009, 4:52am

@Andrew. Not sure of whether you're using Text or HTML export and what your 'paper' style is but if you send me a 'before' (source TBX) and 'after' (finished Pages doc) I'll take a look. Regard the treatment of any such content as confidential (one reason not to post the content here), it's just that guessing someone one else's idea of obvious/intuitive is hard! Once done, the actual export templates can then be shared back with the community.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2009, 11:39am

Word has nice HTML import, which makes applying stylesheets easy.  So one route might be Tinderbox->HTML->Word->Pages.  An alternate route to Pages is Tinderbox->HTML->Safari and then copy/paste into Pages.  (if indentation is an issue, <blockquote> is your friend)

But even starting from straight text, given a pre-made document template and stylesheet, I'd expect to be able to style a moderately simple publication -- a journal, an academic paper, a book -- at a rate of 50-100 pages/hr.

WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2009, 12:02am

Mark (Anderson),

I really appreciate the offer. (of course, Mark (Bernstein), I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate your support too, but this is the Export Forum, not the Endless-Gratitude Forum, so I'll bottle it up for later!)

Please send me your email address (offline to andrew.saffer at gmail.com) and I'll attach the TB and the Pages files for you to look at.

Again, I really appreciate it,

Andrew (Saffer)

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2009, 3:52am

Message sent.

--
Mark Anderson