Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Application Icon + sundry observations on 4.1 (Read 2373 times)
Johnnie Wilcox
Ex Member

Application Icon + sundry observations on 4.1
Feb 5th, 2008, 8:21am

First, I want to say how happy I am with the release of Tinderbox 4.0 and, now, 4.1. The update to 4.1, in particular, provoked in me a sense of the uncanny (pleasant and odd) since I was implementing somewhat complicated rules and agents for putting note attribute information in notes' names. DisplayExpression and DisplayName are fabulous. Also, the Container attribute really improves the utility of Tinderbox, but of course you know this. Thank you for this substantial update.

The new application icon is in many ways an improvement over the previous one. However, I miss the shape of the previous icon because its shape made it easy to spot in a line of two-dozen. The color of the new icon does help in this regard. The shape, however, could be more distinctive and could unify its two main themes--"fire" and "container"--which in the current icon are somewhat disconnected.

The current icon shape is casket-like (long, flat), which is necessary in order for the topside flame logo to be visible. But the fire badge separates the two ideas, making the "fire" theme a visual abstraction.

The concepts "fire" and "box" can be unified by changing the box shape (taller, closer to a cube) and opening the lid a crack. Have tendrils of fire emerging from the box's interior. The silhouette of such an icon could be even more distinctive and its thematic expression would be visually embodied (rather than visually abstracted).

Overall, a fantastic update, icon included.

« Last Edit: Feb 05th, 2008, 8:25am by Johnnie_Wilcox »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print