Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Timeline export broken? (Read 12077 times)
Talal

Timeline export broken?
Feb 14th, 2008, 11:37am

I just downloaded the SIMILE Timeline kit from the exchange. The example.html included works. However, once I export my own additions to the example in the .tbx file, the timelineData.xml exports correctly, but the example.html comes out basically blank; meaning, none of the boilerplate information seems to be included.

Is it broken, has the upgrade to 4.x changed anything, or am I just missing something totally obvious? Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Timeline export broken?
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2008, 12:46pm

It's a Tinderbox 4 detail.

The note named /boilerplate/script contains a javascript script that's embedded in the exported page.  One of the lines of this script starts with a tab; tabs now tell Tinderbox to use "HTMLIndentedParagraphStart/End" to mark up the tags.  These didn't exist before Tinderbox 4, so they weren't a concern.

Select /boilerplate/script.  Open HTMLView.

Switch the the Paragraph pane

You'll see that most of the paragraph markup is empty, but "Indented" is not.  Empty the start and end tags for "indented" paragraphs. and press Update.

Close the HTMLView and export everything once more; all should be well.  I'll update the upload in a few minutes.

WWW   IP Logged
Talal

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2008, 1:13pm

Works fine now, after downloading the new kit. Thanks for the quick response!

IP Logged
Paul Perry

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2009, 10:41am

Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I've owned Tinderbox for nearly a year but haven't had much time to explore its possibilities. I keep meaning to but, like others, I find the learning curve somewhat daunting.

Today I was looking at some timeline apps and realised that this is probably something that I could do more flexibly using TB. I'd like to start building a database of personal data from the last 50 years. I found the 'Simile Timeline' templates in the Exchange and have just tried to load the example.html page from my Sites folder. Unfortunately loading the page in my browser just loads a page of rubbish characters. (I've tried exporting a number of times and believe that the export puts all the right files in the right places...)

Has something been broken in the exchange file in respect to the newest version? (I'm running the latest version of TB, 4.6.1)

Is there anywhere else that I might look for some templates that I could use to store event data to use in creating timelines?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- P.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2009, 11:27am

Ah, I think this is an issue whereby when TB opens a pre-v4.6 TBX it generates a new one and somehow that process doesn't set export template defaults correctly.  I'm just taking a look at the doc in an older version.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Perry

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2009, 11:47am

Thank you Mark for your quick reply and your willingness to look into it!

Kind regards,

-- P.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2009, 11:56am

Somehow - even back in v4.5.3 all the template selection was mangled. If you're using v4.6+ download this version: http://www.acrobatfaq.com/tbdemos/timeline_46.tbx.zip

It now looks to work. Fixes:
  • Made template internal so they don't get lost/disconnected.
  • Re-connected exporting pages to the correct templates.
  • Set code notes in monspace font for clarity.
  • Tidied up JS & CSS code.
  • Added closing ^ to all export codes

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Perry

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2009, 12:50pm

Hi Mark,

Yes it works now for me. Many, many thanks!

Time for me to start digging into the wonders of TB!

Best regards from the Netherlands.

-- P.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print