Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Academic Workflows (Read 35743 times)
Jim Delaney
Ex Member

Re: Academic Workflows
Reply #15 - Jul 22nd, 2008, 1:21pm

I spent a couple of hours yesterday evening fiddling a little with my research notes workflow, and thought of another simple step to ease integration between Tinderbox, Skim and BibDesk. BibDesk will allow drag and drop export of citations in tab separated values through a template (a simple version can be found on the BibDesk wiki). With just a little setup, you can drag any of your references from BibDesk to an open Tinderbox window, which will create a note with all of the attributes mapped out for you thanks to the spreadsheet import feature. This works brilliantly with BibDesk, and can probably be set up with any reference manager that allows for user-definable export templates.

Jim D.

IP Logged
sampsasamila

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2008, 3:26pm

Beautiful. I was thinking of making an OPML template for BibDesk, but no need now.

IP Logged
DerikBadman
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 1:09pm

This kind of works for me. Some of the new attributes are coming up as boolean instead of string (Journal is either true or false!). This should be useful with a little tweaking, as I just started using BibDesk (love the ability to organize pdfs along with citations.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #18 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 1:15pm

If Tinderbox needs to create new attributes for dragged data, it has to guess at the type by looking at the data.

But there's no need to guess; if you know you're going to need a string attribute called Journal, make the attribute yourself and make it a string.  Tinderbox will use it when importing.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print