Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Feature request: replicants (Read 5846 times)
AsafKeller

Feature request: replicants
Feb 20th, 2008, 1:23pm

The "replicant" feature in DEVON products is quite useful, as it permits multiple instances ("duplicates") of the same note to remain identical (when one is edited), while avoiding the main disadvantage of an alias: its demise when the parent note is deleted. Any plans to implement a similar function in TB?
thanks.

IP Logged
DerikBadman
Ex Member

Re: Feature request: replicants
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2008, 1:30pm

Isn't that what Prototypes are for? But with the added flexibility of being able to alter individual instances as/if necessary

IP Logged
AsafKeller

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2008, 1:57pm

DerikBadman wrote on Feb 20th, 2008, 1:30pm:
Isn't that what Prototypes are for? But with the added flexibility of being able to alter individual instances as/if necessary

Prototypes, are, indeed, very powerful. However, if I am editing a note that inherited the prototype (and want the change to apply to the prototype as well), I need to search for the prototype, open it, edit it, and return to my note. An inconvenience (unless I am missing an obvious workflow).
thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2008, 3:33pm

I'm not entirely certain that it's "replicants" are better than aliases.  If you want to delete something, you want it gone -- and so, presumably, its aliases.  

I suspect that your need may be reduced by the new Container attribute in Tinderbox 4.1.  This lets agents and actions move notes to new containers; you might, for example, have a Trash container for disused notes (which, as in the Macintosh trash, would still be available in case you need them someday), or a Done bin for completed actions.

WWW   IP Logged
Talal

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2008, 11:40am

I think the OP's request would be useful, though I do remember reading on the Wiki why MB didn't implement it after trying it in WebSquirrel.

For an example of how it would be useful: I am making a database of medieval scholars. Of course, legal scholars can sometimes also be scholars of theology, or the natural sciences. So, if i have a container "law", another "theology", and a third "science". Sometimes, I want a scholar's note -- with all of that's notes metadata and information -- replicated in the three containers, such that if I add information in one note under one container, I know that it's been replicated in the other two instances.

As for the problem of deleting and then having to hunt for all its replicants? Either a system attribute -- deleteReplicants --, or a pop-up box: "Do you want to delete all replicants of this note? (Yes) (No)."

I for one would find this very useful, and always wish I had this power even in the Finder. Of course, this should not be the default, but a particular type of note; perhaps a radio-box in the note's "Rename" dialog box: under "Can be a Prototype", we could add "Can be a Replicant".

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2008, 12:09pm

AsafKeller wrote on Feb 20th, 2008, 1:57pm:
Prototypes, are, indeed, very powerful. However, if I am editing a note that inherited the prototype (and want the change to apply to the prototype as well), I need to search for the prototype, open it, edit it, and return to my note. An inconvenience (unless I am missing an obvious workflow).
thanks.

Some things that help when using prototypes - though they won't all suit all people in all uses:
  • Use distinctive names for prototypes, e.g. starting "p_" or some such. Now Cmd+F opens Find dialog and a Ctrl/right click on the chosen note will allow you open a new map/outline /etc... showing the note enabling you to do the edit and close the view without affecting your existing work layout.
  • Place prototypes in a separate area (of a map) or container (outline or map). Then if it easy to locate that and find all your prototypes.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print