Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Feature Request: Set Attribute, but for ind. note (Read 4752 times)
Talal

Feature Request: Set Attribute, but for ind. note
Feb 21st, 2008, 11:47am

Making a database of scholars and their writings as I am, I have very quickly used up the maximum number of entries possible for the "Set" Attribute (don't quite know what it is, and couldn't find it quickly in the manual). So use the "string" attribute, right? Well, because the pane of each "KeyAttribute" is only one line high, I can't easily see all the titles that I've entered into that line. I was using the "Set" attribute, because that way I could click on the arrow at the end of the pane, and quickly see a clean list of all the books.

Of course, the problem with this in *this* scenario, is that it shows me a list of *all* the books in my TBX file, *not* just for that particular scholar.

So: could I propose a new attribute type, which would be just like the current "set" attribute (i.e. a tag), but where upon clicking on it's arrow it only shows the list for *that* particular individual note? In other words, a "this note's tags" attribute, as it were?

----

While I'm at it, can I also propose that in some future TBX we be able to determine how many lines high each attribute pane is in the note? Either by dragging it with the mouse, or by having a new system attribute; for example, "paneHeight=3" for three lines high...or better yet, "automatic", so that it automatically expands when the pane has been filled due to the width of the TBX window? Of course, I am proposing something that I have *no* idea how feasible it is to implement.

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2008, 11:52am by Talal »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Feature Request: Set Attribute, but for ind. n
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2008, 5:15pm

There is no limit to the number of values in a set attribute.

The pull-down value menu is suppressed if there are so any distinct values that it seems silly to display them as a menu.  The actual threshold is adjustable; instructions for changing it are on the wiki.

The list of this notes tags is displayed when you make the attribute a Key Attribute, or when you inspect it in the QuickStamp or Get Info window.  (These won't be helpful if you have an immensely large set, but it's not immediately clear that any user interface will be truly satisfactory in that situation)

WWW   IP Logged
Talal

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2008, 5:34pm

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know you can show all the "tags" in a string attribute listed *horizontally* by the methods you mention; I have my "writings" pane as a string, and it shows as follows: bookA; bookB; bookC; etc.

I guess what I am asking is if there is a way to show them *vertically*, as a list; just like you can view tags in a set attribute. So:
BookA
BookB
BookC, etc...

Maybe by having a choice in the attribute window, when selecting to make an attribute a "string", to either (a) list all strings when clicking on the arrow button; or (b) list all the tags in that particular string of that particular note when clicking on the downward arrow button.

Or, if that is too complicated, having some other creative way of seeing the tags in a *list*, in some other window or something.

Thanks for listening, even if it is a bit inane. Wink

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2008, 8:07pm

It's easy enough to view them as a list in HTML, of course.

Thanks for the suggestions

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print