Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Layers in Map View (Read 4004 times)
Rafter T. Sass

Burlington, VT
Layers in Map View
Feb 28th, 2008, 2:11pm

I'm excited about using Tinderbox to plan and represent a complex travel plan.

I'm spending 10 days traveling between NYC, the Hudson Valley, and Western Mass, doing a whirlwind workshop tour.

I grabbed an image from Google Earth of the area in question, and dragged it into Map view as an adornment. I visually represented a schematic of the tour, roughly corresponding to map locations. One color note for gigs, another for logistical stops, another for modes of travel & travel times. I love it. With 2 circuits from NYC --> upstate --> Western Mass, it's not a very efficiently/linearly organized trip. I'm not sure if the graphic is more helpful or just is fun to look at.

Then I set up a column adornment at the left side of the map image, and created aliases of all the notes to also appear there and represent the schedule in a more linear format.

Then, in an otherwise unused space in the lower right of the map (sorry, Rhode Island + Connecticut), I put an Action Items adornment, for all the details left to be worked out.

OK - here's where I ran into problems. The adornments I created then wanted to disappear behind the original map adornment. How do I sort out layering adornments in Map view?

I've also run into this problem with overlapping adornments when exporting and printing the view image. Rather than the lovely shaded transparencies of the map view, one adornment is picked by mysterious criteria to be opaque, and blot out any text that unbeknownst to me was "beneath" it.

BTW, I got TB for Xmas, and was initially frustrated with the learning curve. The ways I want to use it (beyond very basic GTD) are starting to emerge, and using it is starting to get as exciting as reading all the online encomia!

P.S. Is there a TBX index of all the TBX resources online? Every questions I search on I find some other repository of hints and tricks!

raughter   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Layers in Map View
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2008, 2:34pm

Click on an adornment to select it.  

Choose Send To Back from the Note menu.

Voila!

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Layers in Map View
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2008, 2:37pm

Tinderbox's adornments are translucent, but quite a few print drivers and don't support translucent pdf objects.  This is also a frequent headache, for example, when printing Keynote presentations.

Sorting out your object layering will likely resolve the urgent troubles.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print