Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Autosave? Crash Recovery? (Read 5382 times)
Rafter T. Sass

Burlington, VT
Autosave? Crash Recovery?
Mar 26th, 2008, 12:24pm

I can't find anything in the manual, online, or in release notes about either. Maybe this is a feature request.

I know I need to get in the habit of saving more often - this morning with great poignancy. I would love it if Tb had my back, too.

raughter   IP Logged
Ioa Petra-ka

Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Autosave? Crash Recovery?
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2008, 2:33pm

There is no auto-save, so you'll have to pick up the old habit of saving frequently. It is much better than things used to be. Tinderbox has grown to be quite stable in the past few years. I very rarely experience a crash. Back when I first started using it (version 2.x), it crashed a lot, so I have picked up the habit of saving all of the time in Tb---even though these days it is not so important to do so.

One thing that would worry me about auto-save in Tb is the possibility of destructive edits getting saved rapidly. In most applications, you can undo nearly everything you have done, and generally it isn't easy to make a royal mess of your file. But with Tb, all it takes is a poorly phrased AgentAction to turn your file into spaghetti, and with auto-save going in the background that could be a catastrophe for people without Time Machine support.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2008, 2:35pm by Ioa Petra-ka »  

Av
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2008, 3:05pm

Autosave has been strongly deprecated by Apple for years.  But it's moot now, because Time Machine is, effectively, an hourly autosave.

WWW   IP Logged
marbaehr

Re: Autosave? Crash Recovery? Time Machine
Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:37am

A word of warning on relying on Time Machine for back-up of Tinderbox. Yesterday another program froze Mac and required restart. I had not saved Tinderbox for several hours. (My bad.) When I tried to recover from Time Machine back up I realized that Time Machine only saves what is already saved to hard drive; not for open, unsaved applications. Office 2008 for Mac does have auto-save so there's still ability to have as a feature in Leopard.

IP Logged
Karim Kabbabe

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2008, 9:13pm

I use a backup software called QRecall. It doesn't autosave your TB documents, but appart from that, it is an extremely powerful and well thought enhanced TimeMachine.

I set it up to backup (if changed) my TB documents every 15 mins for two days then every day for one year then every week after that. I have a very precise history of all my TB files that I can recall and use WITHOUT affecting the original.

I also use QRecall for most of my other backup needs.

You can find it on VersionTracker.

Karim

5688716 k_kabbabe@mac.com   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print