Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Extending "Find" - suggestion (Read 6436 times)
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Extending "Find" - suggestion
Apr 25th, 2008, 7:29pm

May I suggest Eastgate consider extending the Find feature to allow us to search for notes using any well-formed query?  At present, Find appears to search for text only, in Text, Name or User Attributes.  An extended Find would be very useful.

(BTW, is there a reason that Find is limited to strings or expressions 3 characters or greater in length?  Queries such as "!+", ".", and so forth, do not work in Find.)

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Extending "Find" - suggestion
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2008, 12:18am

Find can search for one and two-character strings; just press the Find button!

We don't automatically start searching until your string is three characters long.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2008, 12:21am

Two other things to keep in mind:
  • Find searches for regular expressions.  So characters like ".", "+", and "*" have special meaning unless escaped with a backslash.
  • For more complex queries than you can conveniently make in Find, you can easily make an agent.  Indeed, if you're going to go to the trouble of writing a complex query, you might want to keep it around in agent form to save you the bother of writing it again next time.

WWW   IP Logged
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2008, 7:12am

MB: Perhaps I'm making an error.  Using 4.2.3, if, in Find, I enter "." (look for any character - quotes are not used in the actual query) and press Enter, I see no notes listed.  The status bar at the bottom reports "xx notes" - xx being the total number of notes in the document.  Ditto for "..".  However, for "...", Find displays the names of all the notes.  Another example: the manual says "!+" will match one or more occurrences of the first character (exclamation point).  Using that "!+" expression (again, without the quotes) in Find, the status bar reports "yy notes", where "yy" is the true count of notes with "!" in the name or text, but Find does not display their names - regardless of pressing Enter.  But, if I use ".!+" - voila!, the names of exclaimed notes are displayed.   (The condition used in the foregoing is "contains".  If the condition is "=", other odd things happen - which I might post about later if I can figure out what's going on.)

With respect to Agents vs. Find -- it is true, for more complex things I can make an Agent.  I like having a Find window as a kind of on-the-fly index of what I want to focus on at the moment, off on the side, and so extending its scope would expand its utility in that context.  (Hmmm, on second thought, of course, hoisting an agent into its own outline view where one can fiddle with the query in isolation from the rest of the notes accomplishes that, too.)

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2008, 9:41am

If I a Tinderbox that contains four notes: "able" "baker" "charlie" and "dog"
  • Finding "." and pressing the Find button locates all the notes (as it should)
  • Finding ".." and pressing the Find button locates all the notes (as it should)
  • Finding "..." finds all the notes.  The Find button is disabled, as Find is automatically updated when the search string changes

WWW   IP Logged
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2008, 11:12am

MB: I have gremlins.   Embarrassed  I emulated your document with four notes (able, baker, charlie, dog).  A Find in that document using "." returns, in the view display, those four plus a note named with the name of the document.  In my working document (the one mentioned in the earlier post), Find with ".", press Enter, displays nothing - the bottom of that view merely reports there are "xx notes" - the number xx changes every time I press Enter.  (I've tried these two tests on two machines with the same version of Tinderbox, with the same results, so I'm assuming there is something corrupted with one of those documents.)

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2008, 12:19pm

Don't press Enter; press the Find button. (One less variable to worry about -- the keyboard focus might not be where you or I expect).

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print