Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
update agents (Read 6403 times)
Willem Smelik

update agents
Apr 28th, 2008, 7:32pm

Hi,

is it possible to have a medium setting of the update agents preference? Now it is either automatically, which results in slightly distracting cursor changes with larger projects every ten seconds or so, or by hand, which is not ideal either. I would like a setting of, say, by starting up or by hour, which is not too intrusive and yet some sort of automatic setting.

Sure I pestered Mark about this before, and yes I'm as stubborn as that little cursor is

Willem

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: update agents
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2008, 2:19am

Have you tried altering the AgentPriority settings to help control agent update cycles?

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Willem Smelik

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2008, 11:35am

No, thanks for the tip - although it did not help to change the priorities to Low or Lower. I now just switched them off.

I noticed that there are more sophisticated ways to handle this, too, but will have to look into that later as I did not immediately understand how to implement " inside(Attribute Data Types)|#inside(Attribute Groups) ".

IP Logged
Willem Smelik

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2008, 12:36pm

May be I was unpatient or so, but with hindsight, changing the priorities to low or lowest does have the desired effect!

That is helpful, as I have found not so much a new but an intensified use for Tinderbox: now that Dictate brings mature speech recognition to the Mac, I use it for dictating notes directly into Tb. First I keep record of things I need to read (to-do's), which are marked red, when I'm done it's green, and when I've used it in a study it's marked blue. Obviously, any project will accumulate a lot of notes like that, so it's very helpful to assign a lower refresh activity to the agents.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2008, 2:05pm

If you want to tweak agent speed, or only run them at normal speed for certain reviews) you can also use a set of agents, e.g. by Prototype or other attribute, and then use the agent's action to alter the AgentPriority of the matching agents. When done simply change the finding agents action to return the matched agents to their original AgentPriority.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print