Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GTD Available tasks (Read 13509 times)
Andrew Saffer

GTD Available tasks
May 04th, 2008, 3:27am

It's something that seems so simple, but I just can't get it working:

I am rolling my own simple GTD structure, and I need an agent to collect all the available tasks, that is: all of the tasks either with no Start Date or a Start Date less than tomorrow.

Can someone please help me with the syntax of the query? I've banged my head against a wall for 45 minutes, and the bruising is starting to show.

Thanks,

Andrew
Director of Pathetic Pleas for Tinderbox Help

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: GTD Available tasks
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2008, 2:58pm

(Task=never)|(Task<=today)

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2008, 9:37pm

That's excellent, but I've only found that it works for dates marked 'tomorrow' as an example. For a note with an actual future date, e.g. 6/5/08, it won't remove them from the list.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2008, 9:37am

Is the date you're comparing a Date attribute?  It sounds like you might be using a string attribute instead.

WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2008, 4:28pm

You were right. I made it a set, but had another problem:

I had made it a Date attribute, but as a Date, it auto-fills with 'never'. All my monkeying around won't get the Cmd-2 box to switch it to empty as default.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2008, 4:59pm

Note that for a Date field 'never' is 'empty'. It means 'no date', i.e. empty.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2008, 6:42pm

Ah.... Thanks, it all works now, Andrew

IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2008, 8:52pm

And is there a way to type in 'Monday' into a Date field and not have it include the time. Or, if it's not, set it to default to 8:00am to get around that?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - May 8th, 2008, 5:41am

No, new dates with no time stipulated default to 00:00. The v4.2 manual, v114: "Agents regard two dates as being equal if they share the same year, month, and day -- regardless of the time of day.". Are you trying to do time-based arithmetic or simply set a particular time for 'date' attributes, noting that they're time agnostic for comparative purposes?

[Post edit - time is ignored only for '=' comparisons, in all others time is taken into account.]

« Last Edit: May 9th, 2008, 3:27am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2008, 8:05am

I want a task set for x days from now to show up on that day, whatever time of day that is.

For example, I'd like to enter 12/12/08 and it show up for all of that day (be that whether I'm looking at the list at 12:01am or 11:59pm).

As it stands, when I enter a date, it tacks on the current system time by default, and I have to go adjust it by hand Sad.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #10 - May 8th, 2008, 9:44am

But if date arithmetic doesn't look at times when calculating differences, how are you controlling when in the day that a task shows up? It might help to know your test case. Could you post the code you are using?

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2008, 9:12pm

I have an agent called 'Do this next:' which gives me all the available tasks today:

Prototype(@)&(Date=never)|(Date<=today)

If I set the Date to today but a time in the future, it takes it off that list. Apparently, it IS using the time to decide whether to add to subtract from that Agent's list.

I'd prefer not have the time be entered when I enter a date, and not deal with the problem at all.

Thanks,

Andrew

IP Logged
Matt Cawood

New England, Australia
Reply #12 - May 8th, 2008, 9:48pm

Same thing I mentioned in the thread running concurrently with this one. Not doable, apparently.

Matt

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #13 - May 9th, 2008, 3:45am

Andrew, try:
Prototype(@)&(Date=never)|(Date=today)|(Date<today)

By using a specific '=' comparison to evaluate today you should have time in-sensitive evaluation of 'today'.

To set particular times (I suspect your tasks tend to a few particular times of day, consider Stamps (Stamp palett accessed via Cmd+2). Thus make a stamp:
Name: tomorrow 09:30
Value: Deadline = tomorrow 09:30
...click the Change button and you've a new Stamp. When in a view window (e.g. Map, Outline) the 'Value' menu lists all you stamps. Select one - or more - notes to change and then the appropriate stamp.

I'm not sure if it's possible to stamp a time whilst retaining the (any existing) date. Perhaps some sort of placeholder is needed for the latter.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print