Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Date/time and time sensitive comparisons (Read 2724 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Date/time and time sensitive comparisons
May 09th, 2008, 7:53am

Answering current threads where we're trying to work around both time-sensitive and separately time-insensitive comparisons set me thinking. Personally, I don't use date comparisons a lot so don't have a strong view but seed this idea for those with more pressing needs to discuss.

One angle on the is time/no time issue would be to turn the date comparison thing on its head.  Currently, to deal - rightly - with user needs to find 'today' stuff, an = matches anything with today's date at time 00:00 through 23:59. I'd note at this point that the following would have significant impact on current TBXs but I mention the idea in case it sparks something more elegant.

From v4.2.0, 'now' is the same as 'today' as a placeholder.  However, now that we have 'now' as the exact current dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm (or equivalent local format) it would be go if 'today could mean all of today, i.e. dd/mm/yyyy 00:00-23:59 inclusive. If - if - TB could expand that time range internally (that might be complex?) then = could be case sensitive and Deadline=now and Deadline=today could return different and logical results. At noon, Deadline>now would return this afternoon's results, whereas Deadline>today would return values after 00:00 tomorrow.

OK, 'today' is already taken as a placeholder and plus = & date comparisons are handled differently with both having a body of TBX code running on those assumptions, so change would not be without impact.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print