Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Working with a template repository (Read 6760 times)
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Working with a template repository
May 13th, 2008, 4:19pm

The ability to use notes as export templates is a terrific feature.  I've found that I can drag existing template files into a document (say, into a "templates" container).  Even more useful is to have a document that serves as a template repository - with containers for various templates.  A "standard html" container with the templates shipped with Tinderbox, containers for blog templates, and so forth.  

In my repository, I can set up agents to chose templates useful for a particular task.  These containers, or the contents of the agent, can be dragged into the document I am working on when I am ready to work with that document's templates.  I imagine I can put some automation into my repository to do tasks such as update templates for css file names, base href text, etc.  

Kudos to Eastgate - the seeming simple mod in 4.2.0 has far-reaching implications.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Working with a template repository
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2008, 8:56am

I'd second that - being able to use internal templates has both eased the production of my aTbRef resource and made it easier to share the entire project with fellow users via one file. I know adding this 'simple' feature was more work than imagines so thanks to Mark & Eastgate for doing so.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Re: Error message templates
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2008, 8:47am

For Tinderbox-generated sites published to the web, it is also useful to have a template for standard error messages (e.g., 404 not found).  For example, if I have a page template for a site, I duplicate that template, modify it as needed for error messages, and save it as errorTemplate.html.  I might have notes whose text is the response for each of the major error types, with errorTemplate as the export template assigned to those notes.  Set the export file name for that page as appropriate for your server's standard for handling error messages.

The upshot is a friendlier error message presented in a manner consistent with the site's look and feel, with not a lot of additional work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print