Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Get rid of HTML in exported text? (Read 10815 times)
AndreasE

Get rid of HTML in exported text?
May 30th, 2008, 5:32am

I'm writing in German,  a language that employs a lot of umlauts (ä,ö,ü etc.).

When I export text from a Tinderbox file, I get the HTML-equivalents for umlauts in note titles, while umlauts in note content remain as they are.

I'd like to get umlauts in exported titles as well. I studied the manual and the functions for hours now, but I have no clue whether this is possible or not and if, how.

Maybe someone could give me a hint? Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Get rid of HTML in exported text?
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2008, 6:06am

My hunch is it is HTMLEntities that is controlling this. Until very recently most web pages used the basic Latin character set that didn't necessarily support accents. Now UTF-8 has become more prevalent, the need to entify (some) characters has lessened - or rather changed in scope.

In HTML/XHTML/XML use the fact characters are 'entified' shouldn't cause a problem. So, it would help to know why you want to change entity generation - are you not using the process for actual HTML output but some other format (perfectly possible!)?

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
AndreasE

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2008, 8:25am

I just want to export the titles and the text content of notes via Nakakoji view. What I get is a text file that reads like:

5.1 Peter hält einen Mord für möglich
Sie betreten das ältere der beiden Häuser, um die Lage zu überblicken.

The first line is the title of the note, the second the content.

Where do I change this HTMLEntities-variable?

IP Logged
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2008, 9:01am

HTMLEntities is a system attribute.  To turn it off for all notes, select Window/Attributes (or cmd-2).  Choose the "System" tab.  Scroll down to HTMLEntities.  Change the default value to "false" and press "Change".  (You'll be warned about changing a system value, which you can ignore since change is what you intend.)

There are also ways to change the attribute for individual notes, or in prototypes - or with stamps - all covered in the manual and Wiki.

IP Logged
AndreasE

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2008, 10:12am

Cheesy

Yeah. Great! Works like in a dream. Thank you very much!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - May 30th, 2008, 12:32pm

Glad the fix worked but I'm intrigued that the accented text should behave differently between title and text - if anything I'd expect the opposite. What is the template source code for the export for the two lines in question?

To edit attributes for the currently selected note click Cmd+Opt+i.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
AndreasE

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2008, 2:45pm

The template code is dead simple:

^title^
^text^

I have modified it to (^title^) now, to make it easier to distinguish title from text. I import this into a textprocessor to beautify it before printing it.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - May 30th, 2008, 5:18pm

My hunch is that for text (Nakakoji) export the 'entification' of ^title^ is unintentional by TB. Good news is that you have a work-around that works!

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
AndreasE

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2008, 1:53am

Yes, most likely it was not intended. But it works, and so there is another happy Tinderbox user over here!  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print