Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So, what does Agent Update Time mean? (Read 5459 times)
Loryn

So, what does Agent Update Time mean?
Jun 17th, 2008, 5:29pm

I'm curious how Agent Update Time is calculated.

I have a corpus of 657 comments. 241 agents query against it. The agent action then performs three collect_if statements on the agent's child-aliases and calculates an overall score. The Agent Update Time was listed as 23033.

I'd already fiddled with agent priority, switched off automatic updating, etc., and still wanted better performance. To achieve better performance, I wrapped a guard statement around the agent action: I told it to do the collect_ifs and recompute the score iff the number of children being returned by the query changed or the overall corpus size changed.

This gave very happy results. Snappy updates again! Smiley

But when I reran Agent Update Time---mostly to admire the fruits of my labors---it still shows the value of 23033. So, what does this value mean? Does it always cache the value of the greatest execution time?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: So, what does Agent Update Time mean?
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2008, 8:37am

Agent Update Time is the longest time Tinderbox has required to update agents in this session.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2008, 9:04am

'Session' - as in since opening the TBX? IOW, in the original scenario above, the OP would need to close & re-open the TBX to see the apparent decrease in update cycle time reflected in the Hypertext Status view?

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2008, 7:47pm

Yes; I believe agent update time is based on the longest update time while the document is open.  (The reason for this is that the first update is often the most difficult, since Tinderbox needs to make so many new aliases.  Subsequent updates can sometimes be clever and so take less time)

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print