Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox and Bookends (Read 8861 times)
Malcolm Coad

Santiago, Chile
Tinderbox and Bookends
Jul 24th, 2008, 12:53pm

Does anyone have any advice on importing a Bookends database into TBX? There are mentions in the forum of the compatibility of the two apps, but as a newcomer to both - and someone who has done very little scripting and lacks knowledge of XML (but is willing to learn) - Iíd greatly value any tips in working out a method.

Iím currently building a Bookends database of my existing library and other research texts, and would like to mirror a simplified version of it in TBX in order to make use of the latterís greater flexibility in handling the data, agents, etc. I think I can see in theory how this would be done, presumably by exporting the Bookends entries in XML or tabbed text, stripping them of the fields I donít want transferred, and mapping the desired fields to TBX note attributes defined in prototypes. However, Bookends doesnít seem to allow customization of export options, meaning that the unwanted date would have to be stripped separately before moving to TBX. And, as I am an ignoramus re XML, I donít know whether the resulting selection would match TBXís requirements (obviously something I can find out easily enough by trial and error). Perhaps there is a way in which TBX could do the stripping? Or possibilities of automating some stages with Applescript?

Iíve looked at the Wiki entry on doing something like this with EndNotes, using BBEdit, but the method outlined there seems excessively complex, and also assumes an ability to customize EndNote exports. Attempting to work out the time involved makes me think that it might be less onerous simply to set up prototypes and drag and drop the required data from Bookends to the TBX attributes. But Iíd be grateful for the wisdom of experience, if anyone has tips to pass on.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Tinderbox and Bookends
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2008, 1:22pm

You might want to consider using the nice Bookends support in Tinderbox, which lets you LINK references dragged into a Tinderbox document to your Bookends database.

WWW   IP Logged
Malcolm Coad

Santiago, Chile
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2008, 4:30pm

Thanks, Mark. Yes, this is a very neat addition to the note in TBX. What Iím after most of all, though, is some system for importing the database entries as such.

Btw, the TbRef page on Bookends Support (http://www.acrobatfaq.com/tbx/index/importex/bookends.html) says that Cmd+Opt-dragging a Bookends entry into a TBX text window inserts a title which is also a Web link. Iím finding this doesnít happen. A clickable URL is added in the sidebar (just as if Iíd added the entry to a View) plus a URL key attribute with the same info, but nothing appears in the text window itself. If I simply drag I get a title in ornate brackets (eg{Dawkins, 1990, The Selfish Gene}) but no link.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2008, 4:52pm

Not having Bookends, I had to take the data verbatim from the release notes. If aTbRef corrections are needed, happy to do so.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Malcolm Coad

Santiago, Chile
Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2008, 5:06pm

Yes, it would be good if someone else with Bookends could test this out. For me, cmd+opt-drag into a TBX view worked just as the TbRef page said it would, but the same drag into a text area didnít, as described. It may be a glitch on my system, but if someone else can reproduce it then I guess an edit of the TbRef page is on order.

IP Logged
Malcolm Coad

Santiago, Chile
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2008, 5:10pm

Beg pardon, thatís ďaTbRefĒ. Great resource.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print