Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Passing attribute contents to external weblogs (Read 12365 times)
russ lipton

Passing attribute contents to external weblogs
Aug 18th, 2008, 12:05pm

Questions about the state-of-the-art for posting to other weblogs:

1. Can Tinderbox send along to a weblog the date the note is created? No joy for me in this respect.

2. Can Tinderbox user-defined attribute contents be mapped to weblogs, or are we restricted to the system-defined MT attributes? If the latter, any plans for extending available attributes?

3. Being 100% ignorant of AppleScript, but willing, can I send notes to, say, MarsEdit for subsequent completion/forwarding to the appropriate external weblog?

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2008, 12:05pm by russ lipton »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Passing attribute contents to external weblogs
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2008, 12:16pm

I assume by other weblogs you mean a system like MovableType or WordPress? It might help to know what system you're trying to target.  Weblogs aren't my area but there should be others around who use such systems. As well as using templates you can embed export codes directly into note text - e.g. ^get(Modified)^ will insert the last modifiction date/time - by using a date formatting string you can control the string the export code actually emits.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
russ lipton

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2008, 12:23pm

I am testing possibilities with both Wordpress and ExpressionEngine. Basic posting of note title and note content works with both, of course.

I'd love to pass data within the exported content of the note, but I suspect the Movable Type api requires dates to be sent external to the note's content as distinct fields.

I'm a bit surprised this wasn't provided with Tinderbox's basic MT attributes, since it seems as though post creation date is vital to any weblog post ...

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2008, 12:48pm

I think it depends what you're trying to do. Tinderbox basically exports part or finished pages based on templates. It's not a CMS front end, i.e. writing data to the CMS's database fields except that it's adding completed posts. You need to decide what formatting/data structure you want from the CMS and what from Tinderbox. Mark Bernstein's blog show just how complex a page TB can assembled, thuogh clearly it uses more than one or two simple templates.

What sort of data are you trying to pass and are failing with? (It might be handy if you post your templates). Working with a practical example might help expose the conceptual problems as well.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
russ lipton

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2008, 12:57pm

Perhaps I am misunderstanding?

All I have done so far is use the onboard Tinderbox functionality by setting the document preferences for the Weblogs tab.

Then, when I select 'post to weblog' from the Note menu for a given note, the note title and note content are passed to a Wordpress weblog (e.g., no problem with the document preferences), but not the date the note was created.

In Wordpress, the published post from Tinderbox is assigned a 1999 date. In ExpressionEngine, the date field is blank.

I wouldn't have thought that passing the creation date with the onboard Weblogs functionality would require a custom template? And I'm not clear on how that would work anyway.

In other words, I'm not attempting anything complex and do understand the limitations of Tinderbox as you pointed out.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2008, 1:04pm

The "post to weblog" functions in Tinderbox are likely to be revised in the not-too-distant future, to accommodate newer protocols used by the latest weblog engines (and to work around their idiosyncracies).

(I believe we may be giving MT the date format it used to expect, and that it's now expecting a different date format...)

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2008, 1:06pm by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
russ lipton

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2008, 1:12pm

Mark B:

That seems plausible to me (current mismatch). No biggie. I am sure I can use moblogging to accomplish the same goal and will experiment.

I'm delighted to hear of a coming features update for weblog posting in reasonable future. If that could include ability to map user attributes to major weblog api(s), even better. I don't know enough to know if the latter is prohibitively costly from programming perspective.

Mark A.

Thank you for such prompt help. Any tip/general advice (existing doc?) about using AppleScript to move content from Tinderbox to a receptive OS X app?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2008, 2:10pm

What sort of app are you trying to pass info into? TB doesn't have an Applescript API as such  - as compared to something like TextEdit; IOW there's no syntax for saying give me just the value of attribute AB of note "C". I'd read up on export templates,  export appropriate info into a text file that you can then manipulate within your AS-scriptable app.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
russ lipton

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2008, 2:13pm

Will export as per your suggestion. Thanks again.

IP Logged
John Plumridge

tinderbox found me

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2008, 5:52pm

I agree the weblog code needs updating, and it's been long needed.

The date s of creation is quite awry in moveable type implementation. Tags (mt-keywords') work great, but mt-categories ought to be inserted in to the code ...a few simple lines,  I beleive).
Many, perhaps most weblogs use categories (poems, blogs, about, news, etc..) as well as tags to good effect.

Regards,

John

WWW John Plumridge chueewowee   IP Logged
Johnnie Wilcox - mistersquid

San Francisco, CA
Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2008, 8:32pm

Regarding John Plumridge's comment that

Quote:
Tags (mt-keywords') work great, but mt-categories ought to be inserted in to the code

My understanding is that mt-keywords does in fact map to MT's Categories, not Tags. In either case, mt-keywords does not seem to work for MT 4.1 as far as I can test. I know it used to work for categories sometime in the last 12 months.

IP Logged
John Plumridge

tinderbox found me

Reply #11 - Nov 15th, 2008, 11:06pm

My recent test confirms that mt_keywords do not work with mt 4 CMS categories or tags, but do map to tags with textpattern. For textpattern, categories cannot be reached, and weblogID maps onto textpatterns 'sections', by name.

WWW John Plumridge chueewowee   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print