Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
can agents make duplicates rather than aliaes? (Read 12129 times)
Sebastian Stephenson

can agents make duplicates rather than aliaes?
Aug 20th, 2008, 12:40pm

ok so I will explain what I am trying to archive

I putting all my notes that I take for school and put them in tinderbox and have made some attributes for fitering for agaents

I use agents for getting notes for learning for tests and I see that its works great but works too well as I need to do some editing as I get a lot of notes ( I have been testing at the time I post this) so I need to edit them like intent them and get rid text in notes and delete them and thats where the probelms come in

so here are the problems

1. the alias that agents makes edits the original notes and I don't want that can I make the agent create duplicates?
2. as soon as I edit them it does the search again so I can't do antything

with number two I figured it out how to turn off the agents but I don't want the original notes edited which will happen if I get alias and then export them in templates

speaking of the templates can I make a prototype for agents and have contain a note with template information then be able to duplicate the note for make multiple html files

thanks very much sorry for being so long

Sebastian Stephenson sebey9   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: can agents make duplicates rather than aliaes?
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2008, 4:53pm

#1. An agent will only cease to include a note if the edits you make (via the alias) make it no longer meet the agent's query. From the limited info you give I'd suggest either using a query that's based on something you won't be editing or edit the query-matching data last of all.

#2. I don't understand the point you're making.

I don't believe there's any way to duplicate a note except manually via the UI, so your planned workflow won't work.

Prototypes/templates. Can you describe this again - it's not too clear what you wish to do.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2008, 7:16am

what I want is to make a list of things to revise for tests and whatnot

tinderbox has my notes stored and have keyattributes such as date,topic,book etc. for all my class notes then

say I have a test coming up and I want to retrieve notes via agents so I set up the query and I get a lot of notes back so what I want to be able to edit the notes found in the agent (indent them, get rid of,rewrite them etc.) without changing the original notes  

I know you can turn off agents so its not constantly searching but with an alias it changes the original note which I don't want

then I want to be able to put them in templates (an outline template) and depending on what notes I get back I want to but them in a number of templates

is this clear? please reply thank you for your help

Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2008, 4:02pm

Thanks for that - it does clarify things. If I might ask, if you're editing - which I read as correcting - why keep the originals? Whatever, let's see what can be done.

As you know an agent basically creates a set of alias - one per matched note. Sadly if you duplicate an alias, you get an alias. If there were a way (there isn't AFAICT) to make an alias turn into a note that is a duplicate of the original, then you could drag copy the aliases from the agent to a container and work on them there.  But as long as they're aliases you're stuck.

As regards notes you've edited being dropped by the agent, make a custom Boolean and make the agent set the value of that attribute to true. Make a second agent to look for items with that attribute being true. As long as you don't alter the custom attribute value the second agent will still find your notes event when you edit.

That's the closest I can think of.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:43am

Having tested a bit more.  If you turn your agent off (priority pop-up on the rename dialog) once you've found your matches, then edit will not cause then to be dropped from the agent's list. Of course it is still an alias you are editing - i.e. the original. If the agent is turned on again then obviously some aliases may disappear.  Depending on your workflow, this might help.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2008, 1:51pm

""(there isn't AFAICT)""

what do you mean and also thanks for helping me out yea thanks the only thing I can say really I really am stuck

another way of changing it is that I bring the export into textmate and edit it from there

Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: can agents make duplicates rather than aliases?
Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2008, 2:06pm

Agents make aliases; they don't duplicate notes.  In fact, no Tinderbox action currently duplicates an existing note.  (Imagine what havoc a runaway action could create if it started making thousands of duplicates that you didn't want!)

I don't recall anyone asking for an action that duplicated a note before.  Perhaps we should step back: what are you trying to do?

WWW   IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2008, 5:29pm

the full details are up above but to summarized I don't want to edit the original note that the agent gives me via alias so thats why

Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2008, 5:41pm

Sorry - online laziness. AFAICT = "as far as I can tell".

Reference you last, sorry to ask, but why is it so important you keep the 'original' note.  Read off the screen it sounds that you're correcting notes.  If so, why the need for the earlier version? Please don't misread this as critique. Like Mark's earlier post, if we can get an understanding of why you're trying to do what you describe there may be another way to the goal - and one which TB can do. No promises, but we're trying to help!

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 5:47am

well I guess its just that I feel that in case of some event I don't know yes I know there is no real reason to but just I just want to I guess or a feeling that I may meed to keep them

Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 9:40am

I can understand wanting to keep older drafts.

What I'd suggest is this:

* In the agent of "Notes Needing Revision", select an alias on which you want to work.

* Choose Show Original from the Edit menu to switch to the original note.

* Select Duplicate (cmd-D) from the Edit menu to make a new copy of the note

* Edit the copy

This is a little more work than you had envisioned, but not much!

WWW   IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 4:38pm

yes that may have to do thank you very much Mark's and love tinderbox bernstein!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print