Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can't export text after upgrade to 4.5 (Read 5617 times)
Mark Paul

Sacramento, California
Can't export text after upgrade to 4.5
Aug 28th, 2008, 1:34am

After upgrading to 4.5, I can no longer export to a text file. I get the text export window, can pick a template from the list in the pulldown menu, but the edit button is greyed out. Also, I cannot pick default templates for text or html export from the Tinderbox preference window. There's no response on clicking the triangle. (HTML export does work.)

Any ideas?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Can't export text after upgrade to 4.5
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2008, 4:00am

Yes seems so here too. In investigating, I've found a workaround. Make a spare note and tick the option for it to be a template*. Now the template picker drop-downs work for me!). By this trick I've been able to to set internal and TB built-in templates but not external templates (i.e. stored as normal computer files - the only method pre-v4). The chooser pane opens and lets you navigate to the file of choice. Then select it and hitting the 'choose' button - this has no effect for HTML but works for text templates **.

Oddly after doing the above if I delete the built-in template, I can access the template choice menus in Prefs and Export views - in the same TBX - so quite what the roadblock is.

* Doesn't need to be useable in terms of correct HTML/Export code, just be a note with content with its 'can be a template' box ticked.

** Odd effects here.  Testing again, I can't pick up an external Text template

TBXs with templates already set seem unaffected (I suspect this was why us beta testers didn't spot this - it used to work and the quick way to test export is with a file already set up for that, so one doesn't use the template choice controls).

Side note: as at v4.5.0 if setting templates via the Info View, you can only access external templates though obviously that may play up as above. Regardless of the current glitch this is a known limitation for now.

I'm sure this will get a fix but for the moment the best course seems to be to use internal templates. If necessary, copy your external template code and paste it into a template note.

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2008, 4:53am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
AsafKeller

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2008, 4:01pm

I tried this workaround, but I am unable to edit any of the internal templates (Edit is grayed out). Are the internal templates available anywhere? If so, I assume a workaround would be to paste them into a Note, and to edit the note. Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2008, 5:05pm

Two things are getting confused here - templates built into the app are TBX notes with IsTemplate set to 'true'. The former are built-in templates and the latter are internal templates. The former you can't edit as they are files embedded in the Tinderbox app package*, the latter you can edit - albeit by editing the the note text of the note acting as the template.

The bug relating to accessing internal templates was fixed in v4.5.1 or v4.5.2, I forget which. Note though that it is still not possible to set an internal template by editing file data type attributes in Info View.

* However, you could open the app package in finder, copy the necessary template file(s), save them to your home folder and then link to & edit them there as normal external templates.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print