Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox and iPhone (Read 11383 times)
J Henslin

Florianópolis Brazil
Tinderbox and iPhone
Aug 28th, 2008, 12:21pm

How about a client for the iphone!

Time is a waste of money
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Tinderbox and iPhone
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2008, 8:25am

Tinderbox itself won't be a portable app in the immediate future; it requires prodigious amounts of computational power, far more than the iPhone will be able to provide in the next few years.  

But you don't really want to run Tinderbox on a tiny screen -- you usually either want to refer to some information (which you could export from Tinderbox to text, HTML, or pdf for your iPhone) or you want to capture a short note (which you can most efficiently do, right now, using email to Tinderbox).

WWW   IP Logged
Andreas Vlach

Trier, Germany
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2010, 1:06pm

Just adding here a nice export option to iphone / ipod touch i'm using now since some days:
The app "Browse later" allows one to store entire web-pages, down to a link-depth of 4, on the iphone.
Therefor an easy html-export template for tinderbox exports the whole document as a "website", if you wish so with notes collected by agents and with links to similar notes, siblings etc. - and is then with "Browse later" viewable on the iphone/ipod, with all links and the structure of the tinderbox file.

WWW   IP Logged
twoisland

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2010, 5:56pm

Use Dropbox.
I selected File:Export as HTML and chose my Dropbox folder as the destination. The resulting notes and folders are all there on the iphone. To make it more readable, however, I increased the font size to 24 point (there's probably a better way). It's least confusing if everything is in one container in the tinderbox file, as each loose document and container is listed by name separately in the dropbox index.
Very cool!

IP Logged
Andreas Vlach

Trier, Germany
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2010, 7:07am

Yes, Dropbox shows the structure and the files, but the links inside of the files aren't working unless i'm putting the folder into "Public" (or am i missing something here?) - which i don't want to do with private notes Wink Thats why i like, at least atm, the before mentioned workflow with BrowseLater better Smiley

edit:
I noticed while now playing around with it that one can view in dropbox only favorited files offline - and it seems one can't "favorite" a whole folder. Therefor the Tinderbox-export would be only viewable online. With an iphone that might be not a problem, with an ipod touch it is.

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2010, 7:16am by Andreas Vlach »  
WWW   IP Logged
Arthur Magnusson

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2010, 6:13pm

CarbonFin Outliner has a great outliner program for iPhone, together with Web access, and import/export possibilities to OPML. Using the OPML export templates provided in this forum, it makes for a great iPhone Tinderbox app!

https://cfoutliner.appspot.com/

IP Logged
Tom Shannon

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2011, 6:55am

Andreas,

Do you have to publish the html to the net to import or can you import the structure locally via iTunes?

Tom S.

IP Logged
Pete Becker

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2011, 1:18pm

Quote:
Tinderbox itself won't be a portable app in the immediate future; it requires prodigious amounts of computational power, far more than the iPhone will be able to provide in the next few years.

Back in the 80s, a computer with the power of an iPhone was called a super-computer.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - May 31st, 2011, 1:51pm

And I remember those times well!  I was there when Brian Reed (Scribe) reminded an ACM Conference that markup languages were here to say because word-breaking a paragraph of wysiwyg text required prodigious computation -- "enough to bring a dedicated 370 to its knees."

That said, we really do perform a lot of computation in Tinderbox.  Things like map drawing and HTML Export can require many thousands of attribute lookups. I once clocked a million attribute-inheritance checks when exporting a single page.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print