Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Manual (Help) in HTML form updated to v4.5 (Read 18846 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Manual (Help) in HTML form updated to v4.5
Sep 1st, 2008, 3:45pm

« Last Edit: Sep 01st, 2008, 3:57pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Allan Tsai

Re: Manual (Help) in HTML form updated to v4.5
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2008, 6:42pm

Awesome! Updated documentation!

However, if I use the search box at the bottom of the page it always turns up blank. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Tinderbox 4.7.1
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM
OS X 10.6.1
  IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:11pm

Same here - "Your search ... did not match any documents."  No matter what terms are entered.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2008, 4:07am

Oops. Now fixed. Apologies to all - there was a typo in the location argument for the Google search so it was targeting a non-existent location.

A few things Help & Release Notes perhaps don't yet clarify enough:
  • When using TitleHeight with containers to reveal a table and/or text, any table is displayed in precedence to the container's text. IOW, as you make the TitleHeight larger you can display a table or text but not both.
  • DisplayHeading doesn't want/like quoted strings - but take care to avoid a pipe ('|') symbol in a heading name (not likely but someone will try...).
  • Patterns and maps:
    • The plot() and bargraph() operators are only designed for container use as they need child data for plotting.  I'd recommend not trying to set them for other notes less unexpected things happen (take care of your data!).
    • The bar() vbar() pattern types don't seem to look right with containers. My hunch is they're intended to work with containers but there's some more fixing to do. My recommendation is that as at v4.5.1 you don't use bar/vbar with containers.
    • All basic shading patterns are fine for any icon type.

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2008, 4:07am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Allan Tsai

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2008, 2:39pm

Thanks Mark. Search seems to be working now.

Another issue came up however. Some pages don't seem to exist. I tried searching for "justchildren" and the "THE ^JUSTCHILDREN TEMPLATE CODE" search result turned up a missing page. Some (but not all) of the other links in the search results did the same.

I'm not sure if this problem existed in the previous versions of the manual.

Tinderbox 4.7.1
OS X 10.6.1
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2008, 5:11pm

Googling 'justchildren' (any case) returns 7 pages. The same as the source TBX.  The previous version used far more individual notes - which is why there would have been more results. Regardless of the number of Google search returns you should find the info - the results seem consistent with case insensitive finds in the source TBX. The only difference is that now (since the v4.2 version IIRC) the TBX's output is on fewer HTML pages.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Allan Tsai

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2009, 12:35am

Hi Mark A.,

The search for aTbRef seems broken again:
http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref46/index.html

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2009, 12:36am by Allan Tsai »  

Tinderbox 4.7.1
OS X 10.6.1
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2009, 4:10am

Well the source tags are right. So, it looks as though Google isn't re-indexing the site  - most likely (from what I can find) because there aren't enough inbound links to make the site of interest to Google's indexer.  Hmm, we might need another search/indexing method. Meanwhile, try using the site map page I've added - there's a link to it top right of every aTbRef page.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #8 - May 5th, 2009, 10:27am

Search seems to work for me!  Perhaps is took a while for google to reindex.

WWW   IP Logged
Allan Tsai

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2009, 11:40am

It's working as of this morning! The Google indexing hypothesis sounds reasonable.

Tinderbox 4.7.1
OS X 10.6.1
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #10 - May 5th, 2009, 11:57am

I think it may be because I 'verified' the site via my Google account (which I'd already got for my PortfolioFAQ site). That said, when I checked this morning (using 'site:www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref46/') Google only reported 9(!) of the /atbref46/ pages indexed. Wait - it still does, and searches from aTbRef for 'AgentPriority' or 'wordCount' get no matches. Bother.

FWIW, searches for the TBX version of the manual (this threads original topic) do work, though that's likely because the help site's URL hasn't changed.

I'll try and find a moment to upload a site map for the domain in the hope it prods Google into action.  There no longer seems to be a simple 'spider me' request. Sorry for the lack of search in the meantime and here's the actual URL for the aTbRef46 site map page:
http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref46/aTbRefSiteMap.html

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Charles Turner

New York, USA
Reply #11 - May 6th, 2009, 1:21pm

If I could ask a beginner overview question: what's the version difference between the web HTML, and the PDF that's part of a Tinderbox release?

I assume the content of the PDF/HTML manuals are about the same, and I assume aTBref is a different beast.

Which one of the manuals is most current, PDF or web? Or doesn't it matter very much?

Best, Charles

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #12 - May 6th, 2009, 3:19pm

The 'manual as a TBX' is explained on it's home page. In effect, I've taken the current PDF a reverse-engineered it into a TBX and then exported it to HTML.  It's the same as the current PDF, just in a different format.

The 'aTbRef' site is a different beast. It started with a fellow user sending his private notes on Tb and expanded massively from there. As I try to update it for every minor release it's probably more up to date than the manual in terms of coverage of new attributes/operators/etc.

The manual (PDF) remains the main manual.  If you want more fine detail as to what features there are, attribute defaults, explanations of every dialog you might find aTbRef of use too. It's all free!

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print