Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Using #linkedTo & #linkedFrom (Read 17076 times)
Rafter T. Sass

Burlington, VT
Re: Using #linkedTo & #linkedFrom
Reply #15 - Sep 06th, 2008, 11:45am

Thanks so much - that is incredibly helpful.

It doesn't quite get me there, but it gets me closer. (I'm mildly embarrassed you had to correct a opening/closing ()'s mistake.))

Your response highlighted some unnecessary redundancy in my code, which I've streamlined now.

This tinkering brings up a question (which might be more suited to a new topic):

Is there anyway to (re)set the Rules in a number of notes at once?
*(re)Setting in the prototype seems not to work.
*Setting by agent action seems only able to insert about 15 characters.

Any ideas?

raughter   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #16 - Sep 6th, 2008, 5:24pm

Don't apologise, my knowledge is build upon the experience of such mistakes. FWIW, I tracked down the  error by pasting the rule into a text editor (a TB note will do!) and putting a line break after each opening bracket and before each ). Low tech, but it does quickly point up nesting errors if complex nesting.

I'd like to say thanks for your test file - it's a good example of how to offer up a good test rig - everything was there and as importantly, well visualised on opening. The only change I made was to add a depended task to 'Fill out Rebate' when I noticed its PrePrecedentValues had both 'true' and 'false' values.

Glad to see the fix has helped flag up simplification.  When you're done and if you feel like sharing, I'm sure Mark B would be very happy with an addition to the TB File Exchange page, GTD-ers seen a committed subset of TB users.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #17 - Sep 6th, 2008, 7:26pm

Re re-setting. Once *any* attribute - system or user - has been altered from the prototype's value inheritance is broken.  To reset the inherited value, set the attribute value to ; (semi-colon). See also this article.

To reset a Rule, set 'Rule=' or $Rule= as appropriate.

To set at rule only if it is empty, use |=. This won't work if a rule is not set but inherits a value as it does have a value - the inherited one.

Quote:
Setting by agent action seems only able to insert about 15 characters.

Please give a sample TBX or step-by-step instructions for v4.5.1 to reproduce.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print