Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Working inside an agent? Or an alternative? (Read 5965 times)
sampsasamila

Working inside an agent? Or an alternative?
Sep 28th, 2008, 8:46pm

Here are two things I'd like to do, but cannot figure out how:

1) I would like to be able to collect my available tasks (i.e., next actions) into one place and then be able to sort them into the order in which I plan to do them, or even move them over adornments that correspond to days or times. This cannot be done by using an agent to collect the available tasks as they cannot be moved or resorted by hand. Is there another way? Maybe an agent that would create aliases inside another container rather than or in addition to itself?

2) I would like to be able to collect active projects into one container and be able to adjust the size and position of the notes to create a rudimentary timeline. I tried doing this with an agent, but it only moved around the originals, which I would like to stay put as their size & position already carries valuable info. Is there a way to create aliases and size & position them according to rules?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Working inside an agent? Or an alternative?
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2008, 9:34pm

Why note freeze the agent (i.e. turn it off) and then drag the aliases  into a fresh container?

Or, make new aliases for the items in the agent, and drag them.

Alternatively, if you can define a PRIORITY attribute, your agent can sort tasks by priority, and then you're done.

WWW   IP Logged
sampsasamila

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2008, 9:52pm

The first two sound good, but I guess I was hoping to automate them. An agent can move a note to a different container, but can it create & move an alias?

I thought about a priority attribute, but would prefer to sort the tasks visually into an ordering and derive the priority from that, rather than vice versa.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2008, 11:18am

No; agents create aliases inside themselves, not elsewhere. (Imagine debugging a Tinderbox document where an agent was creating stray aliases in unexpected places!)

But freezing an agent is easy enough, and then you can experiment to your heart's content.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print