Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lookup table (Read 3769 times)
Petra Weinakht

Lookup table
Oct 18th, 2008, 10:10am

Working on a large project that needed reference tables.  I wanted to find the "standard"** value of an attribute and put it into the notes I was creating.  I couldn't find explicit instructions on this (although I might not have looked hard enough) so I created my own method.  With this, I can put a "key" into a note, lookup that key in a reference container, and grab the standard value of an attribute from the target note in the reference container.  Here's a small example (Doing Lookups.tbx):

http://www.aercraft.com/tbx

I'm sharing this because I find the technique quite useful in a highly structured document where QC is important, and it is also a nice adjunct to links.

My apologies if I am reinventing someone else's wheel.

Petra

**"Standard" has nothing to do with Tinderbox; it refers to my data.  For example, element "H1" always is associated with the string "Published 1985 by Harper".  Because I am analyzing a large number of texts, I wanted to make sure each of my bibliography references was always exactly correct.  And, if I changed the string to "Published 1985 by Harper (2d Edition)" then all the notes with the "H1" key get updated also.

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2008, 1:04pm by Petra Weinakht »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Lookup table
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2008, 11:20am

If by 'standard' you mean a user-set default, then when making a user attribute set the default to other than the app default.  A default data attribute has a value of 'never' but this doesn't stop you setting an actual data as the default. A string is empty but you can give it a default value, etc.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print