Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox export to OPML (Read 8036 times)
marbaehr

Tinderbox export to OPML
Oct 18th, 2008, 12:10pm

I read about CarbonFin Outliner on MarkBernstein.org and it works great to import outlines and note text from iPhone to Tinderbox. Outliner has a webpage for syncing so one could also upload an OPML formated Tinderbox export and thus get Title and Text of a Tinderbox file onto iPhone. I will try to make a template but before I stumble at it, wanted to see if anyone has done an OPML export template.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Tinderbox export to OPML
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2008, 1:39pm

I've done an OPML export a few times -- I think one may be in the public file area.  It's very easy.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2008, 6:14pm

Working with data found at http://www.opml.org/spec2 I reckon this (not fully tested) might work:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<opml version="2.0">
	<head>
		<title>Tinderbox OML Export Test</title>
		<dateCreated>^created(this,*)^</dateCreated>
		<dateModified>^lastModified(this,*)^</dateModified>
		<ownerName>^get(Creator)^</ownerName>
		<ownerEmail>example@example.com</ownerEmail>
	</head>
	<body>
		<outline text="^title^ : ^text^" isComment="true">
		</outline>
	</body>
</opml> 

It's not entirely clear what you want to export.  Is it really the TBX file's name or is it a note name/title you're after?  The OPML spec doesn't seem to have method to map title and opposed to body text of a note (leaf).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
JM

Paris, France

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2008, 6:54am

I don't quite follow. . .

Doesn't <title>Tinderbox OML Export Test</title> mean it's export to OML?

(I hope I'm not asking a stupid question  Tongue )

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2008, 9:29am

Nope, it's simply the title I chose to give to the simple test template.  You can call your export's title whatever you want - within the format spec's limit.  If you haven't, it's worth taking a few minutes to read the OPML spec document; it's not complicated and written in pretty approachable language.

I could have as easily used:
Code:
<title>JM's OPML Export Test</title> 

or
< Code:
title>^docTitle^</title> 

The point is that the actual end user will (should!) set something appropriate to her/his own use.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Jonathan Leavitt M.D.

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2008, 10:38pm

I discovered a workaround to export OPML file from Tinderbox. It requires OmniOutliner, which is not freeware. However it works well with a few problems which I will discuss below. How to do it:

1. Select the Tinderbox file topic with children that you want to export to OPML.

2. In Nakakoji view, export it to a text file (*.txt) using the baked-in Outline text export template.

3. Open the text file in OmniOutliner. You should have an outline which looks just like the Nakakoji outline view, but which is editable in OmniOutliner.

4 Export the result to an OPML file from OmniOutliner. There it is.

Problems. However, the Nakakoji Outline View baked into Tinderbox automatically adds numbering to each outline topic, and does not export the text (^text^) of each Tinderbox note.

I was hoping to be able to open and edit the Outline text export file to eliminate the numbers and add the text box. I could not find the file to edit, however.

—Jonathan Wink

IP Logged
AsafKeller

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:00am

To access the built-in templates:
Control-click on the TB application icon and select Show Package Contents. Navigate to Contents:MacOs:templates. There you will find both the html and text templates. I suggest that you leave the originals intact, and edit copies.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print