Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Option to open container in new window (Read 4639 times)
Malcolm Coad

Santiago, Chile
Option to open container in new window
Oct 23rd, 2008, 9:29am

I often need to open a container in map view while keeping the parent level view open, for reference and to open other containers at the same time if need be. At the moment this requires several steps, as the container contents take over the window and a new view needs to be created of the parent level (or at least I haven’t been able to find a way of doing it in a single step). Would it be possible to add an “open in new window” option, as browser links allow from their contextual menu or happens in the Finder when you cmd-click on a folder?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Option to open container in new window
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:19pm

When I want to do this, I...

1) Open a new map window (cmd-opt-M)
2) Zoom in (down-arrow)

This doesn't really strike me as onerous, perhaps I'm missing the point?

WWW   IP Logged
Malcolm Coad

Santiago, Chile
Re: Option to open container in new window
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 2:16pm

Onerous onerous, perhaps not. But it involves a bit more than that. I’m focused on a group of notes, perhaps in a partial view in a smallish window (I need several such partial views for what I’m doing). I open up a container, then need to see into another while keeping this one open. I hit cmd-alt-M, and up comes a map view more or less reproducing the same group of notes, though it will likely need some fiddling as the original focus is seldom reproduced just so. I open another container. Then, if I need to keep the original view open for reference I have call up another new view and perhaps do the same adjustment as before. And so on for each new container.

That’s a fair amount of keyboarding and mousing. If there was an “open in another window/view” option it could be done with a single click each time and no extra mousing and view fiddling. Such presumably was the reasoning behind providing the option in the Finder or browser contextual menus. After all, there too it wouldn’t be that onerous to reopen the original folder or page.

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2008, 2:17pm by Malcolm Coad »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print