Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox and whisky (slàinte!) (Read 9019 times)
JM

Paris, France

Tinderbox and whisky (slàinte!)
Oct 25th, 2008, 5:00pm

Hello everybody,

I'm a whisky fan (single malt of course!) and I think TB could be useful here. I'd like to share my thoughts about this topic with you.

I'll list all the Scotch whiskies available even, for example, the very rare (and totally unaffordable!!!) Ladyburn. I'll set up these attributes:
Distillery: that is, well, the name of the distillery
Year: when was this whisky bottled? (not always available)
BottledBy: official bottling or not?
PercentageAlcohol: 40 to 50% alc. and more
BelongsTo: who owns the distillery? (This would allow me to link the distilleries owned by Diageo spirits company.)
Silent: distillery closed — but not demolished
Demolished: distillery demolished (alas!) but whisky is on sale (Port Ellen, for example)
You could go one step further with a Still attribute: which type of stills do they use? Oh, and a Barley attribute: which variety/varieties of barley is/are used?

I'm waiting for your suggestions, comments. . .

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Tinderbox and whisky (slàinte!)
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2008, 7:09pm

This is great!  

I might add two more attributes.  You've got the year, which is sometimes pertinent, but you almost always want to know the age at bottling.  (The Ardbegh 10 year old today is arguably not what it was in 1990 under the old ownership, but it's still an Ardbegh 10 and not a Talisker 10)

Also, you'll want a variant field to handle things like Glenmorangie's oak variants.

I presume tasting notes are in the text of the note?  Sounds like fun!

WWW   IP Logged
JM

Paris, France

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2008, 7:45pm

Ahaaa, you're a whisky enthusiast as well Smiley

Well, there's a problem. Sometimes a distillery makes 2 or 3 whiskies. For example, Octomore, the world's most heavily peated whisky (or so they say) is Bruichladdich. They gave a different name because it's different from Bruichladdich but Octomore is Bruichladdich. I hadn't thought of that. So Distillery wouldn't be enough.

The age of the bottling is another attribute. I'm trying to think which ones I could add. Oh, and the tasting notes are a must, that goes without saying.

This document could be used to list all the whiskies between 40 to 50% alc. for instance.

IP Logged
RobertW

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2008, 8:30pm

Good Luck to you !

A thought question- why do Silent and Demolished need to be separate attributes? You could just have DistilleryStatus and make the value "silent" or "demolished" as needs be. You might even think of other statuses later.

IP Logged
JM

Paris, France

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2008, 5:51am

RobertW wrote on Oct 25th, 2008, 8:30pm:
Good Luck to you !

A thought question- why do Silent and Demolished need to be separate attributes? You could just have DistilleryStatus and make the value "silent" or "demolished" as needs be. You might even think of other statuses later.

That's right. DistilleryStatus would do the job.

By the way, I could create a similar document for Bourbon but Bourbons are very different from Scotch whiskies.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2008, 2:36pm

Bourbons are very different, but good bourbon is by no means to be despised!

WWW   IP Logged
JM

Paris, France

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2008, 4:30pm

I added the following attributes: Location, NumberOfStills, Water Source, CaskType.

In the case of Laphroaig, you get:
FoundedIn: 1815, Location: Port Ellen, NumberOfStills: 3 wash 4 spirit, CaskType: Bourbon.

IP Logged
RobertW

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2008, 7:34pm

I just finished a bottle that I received as a gift. I don't have much experience with whiskey, but am up for learning. Can anyone recommend something not terribly expensive that can be found in a regular American store?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print