Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
listing the values of a string attribute (Read 5480 times)
Sebastian Stephenson

listing the values of a string attribute
Nov 02nd, 2008, 8:43am

hi

I am trying to find a way to list all of the values for example the "topic" attribute which is a string.

I what at a glance to have a way to see all the values of this "topic" attribute

I know you can do a table expression of the values but unless it is scrollable I need another way to view them as it will get very big

I want to do this because I want to write agents for getting notes that I took over a year ago

thanks

if this is not clear please reply and tell me thanks

Sebastian Stephenson sebey9   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: listing the values of a string attribute
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2008, 9:48am

If you have a modest number of unique topics -- less than 99 as I recall -- you can see all the values in use in the pull-down menu of the key attribute table.  (The limit on the pulldown menu's length is configurable, so you can extend this if you want)

If you have far too many topics to list in the menu, what I'd do is to write an agent that collects everything with a topic, sorts alphabetically by topic, and exports the topics on separate lines:

Apples
    Aviaries
    Aviaries
    Best Practices
    Brasil

Then use the command-line program uniq, or BBEdit, or remove the duplicate lines. Voila!

WWW   IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:31am

yeah the pull down menu may be good as all the notes that are labeled with topic are under a prototype so I may keep the text window open of the prototype and see the topics

thanks

anyone suggestion are very much welcomed

Sebastian Stephenson sebey9   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:33pm

Another possiblity: make an agent that collects all the notes with topics. Sort alphabetically by topic.

In the export template, export the topic ONLY if it's not the same as the previous topic.

Voila!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print