Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Include TextWrangler with TBX, along with Yojimbo? (Read 4493 times)
Malcolm Coad

Santiago, Chile
Include TextWrangler with TBX, along with Yojimbo?
Nov 21st, 2008, 4:08pm

Having just wrestled with the ďTinderbox was unable to parse this fileĒ problem, which from the forum seems to hit users with a fair amount of frequency, Iím awash with gratitude for BBEditís superb - and free - TextWrangler, especially the Zap Gremlins feature it shares with its big sibling, BBEdit itself. This parsing problem often seems to arise when dragging-and-dropping into TBX from other applications - in my case an ancient version of Filemaker and possibly from Bookends - and invisible nasties get dragged along at the same time. This can be pretty devastating, and canít be solved by going back to backups, as the same hassle will simply reappear.

In my case, TextWrangler dealt with this, as it has so often for others. It didnít show anything up in the line in the TBX alert, but when I ran the whole file through Zap Gremlins, it opened again perfectly.

Given that this is such a useful tool, and really the only one for dealing with such problems not of TBXís making, it would be good if more users knew about it from the outset. So how about including it with TBX, like Yojimbo? It is free, after all, so there should be no problem.

Just a thought...

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2008, 4:10pm by Malcolm Coad »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Include TextWrangler with TBX, along with Yojimbo?
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2008, 7:59pm

Once we fully understood the nature of these problems -- which took some serious sleuthing! -- we solved them in a cleaner way; they should no longer happen in Tinderbox 4.5.3 and beyond.

(There is another, even rarer, problem with the same sympton that might still be unresolved, but we are aware of only two observations of the problem, ever.  We think this has been resolved, too, but I'm slightly less confident that it might not crop up in arcane circumstances involving very old and seldom-used files.)

WWW   IP Logged
Malcolm Coad

Santiago, Chile
Re: Include TextWrangler with TBX, along with Yojimbo?
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2008, 9:37am

Thatís probably it. Iím using TBX 4.5.3, but the Filemaker version Iím using is very aged indeed - 5.5.2, would you believe.

Thanks for your email responses, Mark, and Iíve sent the damaged file as you ask. Great support, as ever.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print