Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie ? can I do this with an agent (Read 4837 times)
Roger C. Eddy

Newbie ? can I do this with an agent
Nov 25th, 2008, 2:52pm

I have created a Map View "Critical Incident Structure" subtitled "Reflective Thinking in Complex Contexts", this in turn is part of a larger Tbx project on Human Error, particularly in Health Care.

The Notes in this Map View illustrate components of "Stories", "Narrative Reports" and "Complex Context Critical Incident Reports". Within these notes are explanatory text, for example a note "A Personal Data Base" describes in the text portion of the note how a Critical Incident Report can be used in an unresponsive organization. In that text I have selected a phrase "organizational resistance" and I have colored it "magenta" using the toolbar menu.

I would like to create an agent that collects all notes that have a phrase where color = magenta. This would collect notes for a Glossary of terms. Links of these terms to "incidents", "references" or essays would be created at a later date.

Can an agent do this?
Should I be thinking links instead?
If so can one Glossary term have multiple links?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I am 74 and by the time I understand this program it will be my personal cure for Alzheimer's.

Thanks in advance

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Newbie ? can I do this with an agent
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2008, 4:24pm

You can't currently use agents to search for passages of colored text.  You can search for patterns in the text, or for values of attributes.

One approach might be to have OrganizationalResistance be a boolean attribute; simply check it whenever you see signs of Organizational Resistance.

WWW   IP Logged
Petra Weinakht

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2008, 8:41am

Perhaps an attribute named "keyWords" of type "set" could be created and added to the prototype(s) for your notes.  Then, put the glossary terms that apply to a note into the keyWords attribute for that note.  For example, notes about human error could have "Human Error" in the set of keyWords.  If you have a container named "Glossary" you could put a series of agents into that container, each of which has a query for a particular glossary term.  For example, to find notes about Human Error use this query in an agent:

keyWords(Human Error)

The Glossary container could then, on export, list a term (i.e., the name of an agent) and the names of notes keyworded to that term.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2008, 10:07am

To avoid hard to spot errors in your code, I advise tat one uses a consistent style for attribute names. The convention is to use capitalised words or camel-case words. Thus Keywords or KeyWords but not keyWords or keywords. The 'keyWords' style is problematic as it apes the convention for action/export codes and if you don't know all the command codes of by and you might later mistake an attribute name for a command code in some later revision.

I stress these are naming conventions - not rules - but they are suggested to help the user employ consistency in what they do code to avoid hassles in actual use.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print